General Hockey Thread 2013

Built Ford Tough

I think the fact that teams practically refuse to offer sheet RFA's is ridiculous in the NHL.  To not pursue every possible avenue to improve your team is ignorant, and an insult to your franchise and their fans as far as I am concerned.  

I don't care if another team is pissed - maybe you should have sorted your shit out with your player before he was a free agent, or not held them hostage because they are an RFA.  The fact that they also get compensated for losing an RFA (quite handsomely as well mind you) makes it even more ridiculous teams get so pissed about it.  I get its annoying to have a player taken out from under you, but guess what, if the GM calls you and tells you they are thinking of offer sheeting your RFA, that should be more than enough.

It's ridiculous a player like O'Reilly is still not playing because his team is holding him hostage because no one else will offer.  If Colorado tries to [expletive] you over by overpaying for one of your RFA's, well then so be it, enjoy the picks they'll be sending your way.

I think the fact that teams practically refuse to offer sheet RFA's is ridiculous in the NHL.  To not pursue every possible avenue to improve your team is ignorant, and an insult to your franchise and their fans as far as I am concerned.  

I don't care if another team is pissed - maybe you should have sorted your shit out with your player before he was a free agent, or not held them hostage because they are an RFA.  The fact that they also get compensated for losing an RFA (quite handsomely as well mind you) makes it even more ridiculous teams get so pissed about it.  I get its annoying to have a player taken out from under you, but guess what, if the GM calls you and tells you they are thinking of offer sheeting your RFA, that should be more than enough.

It's ridiculous a player like O'Reilly is still not playing because his team is holding him hostage because no one else will offer.  If Colorado tries to [expletive] you over by overpaying for one of your RFA's, well then so be it, enjoy the picks they'll be sending your way.

Enjoy having your own players thrown offer sheets the next season or whenever contracts are up. You can't just go around offer sheeting everyone you like. It has to be the right person.

I don't get the ROR love. I think it's completely unwarranted.

I agree, but I think ECN is right. We obviously have no idea what goes on behind the scenes, but if I had to guess, this is a big part of why so many around the NHL don't like the Flyers, lol. 

Yeah I don't think offer sheeting is the best way to go most of the time. I wouldn't have minded the Leafs offer sheeting PK Subban because the Leafs obviously already don't have a good relationship with the Habs. Although that also probably wouldn't work anyways because PK isn't going to want to go play for the Leafs. If there was no compensation or atleast less compensation given for offer sheets I do think it would happen more often. I see where your coming from about it being a shame that O'Reilly isn't playing because he has no bargaining powers.

Enjoy having your own players thrown offer sheets the next season or whenever contracts are up. You can't just go around offer sheeting everyone you like. It has to be the right person.

I don't get the ROR love. I think it's completely unwarranted.

It's ridiculous that teams act like they have exclusive rights to their players and have the inherent right to low ball them just because they are 3 years pro.  I get why teams don't do it, and I get teams will do it back to them (umm, who cares... you can match, and if they massively overpay, they get saddled with the contract, and you get picks.. win-win) - that doesn't make it any less stupid.

To not explore all avenues of improvement for your team is ridiculous to me.  I'm not suggesting offer sheeting everyone, but if a team can't retain their RFA because they are low balling him, and that player is a fit for another team, I don't get why they shouldn't offer that player what he is worth just because it will annoy a team who is low balling their player.

I don't know what 'love' you are referring to.  I don't see him getting huge hype very often.  I think he is a really solid 2 way center and is only 21 years old.  If you have a chance to get a player like that and he fits, I feel like you ought to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the Blue Jackets-Red Wings game in Columbus on Saturday. Really cool place. The Blue Jacket fans were way more impressive than I expected. 

Speaking of impressive, the game happened to be Sergei Bobrovsky's first career shutout. Which made me happy and sad at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...

Guy Boucher fired by Tampa.

Talk about a fall from grace. 2 years ago this guy was the second coming of Scottie Bowman and could walk on water.

Also, it sounds like the Pens and Stars have a trade in place that would see Brenden Morrow go to Pitt in exchange for Joe Morrow (plus? I'm not sure of the exact details that would be going Dallas' way). According to guys like Dreger, Bobby Mac and Lebrun, the only thing holding this back at this point is Brenden Morrow waiving his no trade. Supposedly, Morrow is meeting with Nieuwendyk right now, so we should know relatively soon whether this trade will come to fruition or not.

There is talk that Boston is trying to get Morrow as well. This makes me wonder about the availability of Iginla, since both of these teams were speculated to be in on Iggy. If they're both turning their attention to Morrow, it would seem that the asking price is too high right now. Should be interesting to see how that plays out.

Seems like a weird trade for Pittburgh, as (from what I have read of him) Morrow sounds like a really sound defenseman, something they are sorely lacking these days.  I love Morrow for a team in the playoffs, just not sure he's the piece the Pens need right now.

Gotta wonder if a guy like Streit, Robidas or hell, even Dan Boyle, would fit a need on that back end.

It actually makes sense.

The Pens have a plethora of young defenseman. They have 5 defense prospects with a ranking of 7 or better according to hockeys future and also have Cornell's captain Nick D'Agostino and a guy by the named of Robert Bortuzzo who's highly regarded by Bob McKenzie. They dealt from a surplus in the pipeline to pick up a solid piece for their playoff run.

10190_10151545712884743_453269422_n.jpg

Went to Coyotes/Red Wings in Glendale tonight. Had a great time. So, in the past 2 weeks, I have seen games in two of America's "worst" NHL markets (the other being Columbus) and have had great times. Would love to see the game succeed in both places. 

Edited by Phightins