Philadelphia Flyers 2013

Phightins

The hot rumor is that Scott Laughton (our first rounder last summer) has a very good shot of making the Flyers out of camp this week. He has supposedly looked great in Oshawa and many in the front office think he is NHL ready.

Personally I wouldn't, just because I think it is silly to burn a year of his entry-level contract in a shortened season, but I understand why the Flyers are thinking about it, having lost JvR and Jagr and not doing much to replace them.

The hot rumor is that Scott Laughton (our first rounder last summer) has a very good shot of making the Flyers out of camp this week. He has supposedly looked great in Oshawa and many in the front office think he is NHL ready.

Personally I wouldn't, just because I think it is silly to burn a year of his entry-level contract in a shortened season, but I understand why the Flyers are thinking about it, having lost JvR and Jagr and not doing much to replace them.

Never heard of Laughton before. What position does he play?

It appears that there's another team in the Roberto Luongo sweepstakes. According to Adrian Dater of the Denver Post, hockey analyst and former NHL player Enrico Ciccone of TVA Sports, and confirmed by TSN's James Duthie on Twitter, the Philadelphia Flyers are interested in acquiring the services of the veteran goaltender.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413187

Ha. Haha. HAHAHAHAH

Kurtis Foster reportedly will sign as soon as the CBA is official. Sure, why not. Can't be a worse option for the 3rd pairing than Bruno Gervais/Andreas Lilja, even if he isn't half the player he used to be.

Foster deal official. One year. I dig it.

Also, Brian Boucher coming back (AHL depth) along with a somewhat intriguing D prospect (Mark Alt) in exchange for Luke Pither. I dig this as well.

Based on practice yesterday, it looks like the lineup tomorrow will be....

Hartnell-Giroux-B. Schenn

Talbot-Couturier-Voracek

Read-Laughton-Simmonds

Fedotenko-Wellwood-Rinaldo

Timonen-L. Schenn

Coburn-Grossmann

Foster-Meszaros

Lets go!!!

What do you think about Luke Schenn so far? JVR has played well. He is slowly starting to get to the front of the net and use his body to fight for pucks infront of the net and stuff.

Schenn has been better than expected (but maybe that is because you guys had my expectations so low, haha). Laviolette apparently loves him. He is getting pretty much equal ice time as Timonen and Coburn through the first few games. The scouting report you guys gave is pretty much spot on. Love his physical edge. You can definitely tell that he and Brayden are brothers, haha. 

Also, this was fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSa9lQyNmgU

Okay, so...

Not panic time yet, but with the way this organization operates, and with the way the fanbase around here is, I think we are a loss or 2 away from shit getting pretty ugly. 

It's a shame because Bryz has been awesome and for the most part, the defensemen I was worried about (sans Lilja, he still sucks) have been fine. Not sure what the solution here is. I just hope Snider doesn't go nuclear over this.

Quickly falling in love with Tye McGinn. He's done great filling in for Wayne Simmonds/Scott Hartnell as the power forward on Giroux's line, and now that Simmonds is back, he is quickly developing a lot of chemistry with Brayden Schenn and Jake Voracek. I always got annoyed last year when he'd always get passed up on during AHL call ups, since he always impressed me a bunch when I'd watch the Phantoms. Glad he is getting a shot now and making the most of it. 

Oh, and this too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAnqltjwGUo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnki0bkJwK8

Voracek is killing it for my fantasy squad!  I've been waiting for him to make that jump once he started playing with Giroux more.  He's got a lot of skill

3 more assists today!

He was pretty frustrating to watch last season, since you could tell how much skill he had, but he'd be so inconsistent. One thing I didn't fully realize until this season was how good of a shot he has. He was the definition of a pass-first guy, especially on the power play. Which is fine, except that he has a bad habit of turning down some wide open shots. Seems like somebody was able to convince him to shoot a bit more this season.