Do we have any draft picks?

According to Realgm and IIRC the Suns' beat writers, Phoenix gets LA's pick if its lotto.

2013 first round draft pick to Phoenix

The L.A. Lakers will send the least favorable of their own 1st round pick (top-14 protected), Cleveland's own 2013 1st round pick, Sacramento's own 1st round pick (top-13 protected) and Miami's 2013 1st round pick to Phoenix. If the L.A. Lakers' 1st round pick is within the top-14 selections, Phoenix will automatically receive the L.A. Lakers' 1st round pick. [L.A. Lakers-Phoenix, 7/11/2012]

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

• Owner

It's protected, BUT Cleveland has the option (that they will take) to swap their pick (which will be EITHER Miami's first OR Sacramento's first...likely Miami's, I think Sac's is protected) with ours.

At that point, we have Miam's first...and that won't be a lottery pick, so it will go to Phoenix.

That's the way I've understood it all this time.

• Owner

Yeah, I've read three different things.

For the Record, 5:45 p.m. Dec. 11: The original post said if the Lakers do not make the playoffs, they will keep that protected pick. The pick is only protected in the trade with the Cavaliers, not in the trade with the Suns.

The Cavs may have picks from the Miami Heat (top-10 protected) and the Sacramento Kings (top-13 protected). Whichever pick is furthest from the No. 1 pick can go to the Lakers in exchange for L.A.'s first-round pick, at the Cavaliers' discretion.

Cleveland is mostly likely to have the Miami pick which would presumably be swapped with the Lakers (if they're in the playoffs). The Suns would then end up with Miami's first.

How does that impact the Lakers? It doesn't.

Whether the pick goes to the Cavaliers or a Lakers, Cleveland, Miami or Sacramento pick goes to the Suns, the Lakers still aren't going to pick in the first round of the 2013 NBA Draft barring an additional trade.

So here's what I'm getting from this post...IF THE LAKERS MAKE THE PLAYOFFS:

1) Cleveland WILL have the Miami pick because the Heat will NOT be in the lottery.

2) That Miami pick will most definitely be furthest from the #1 pick (versus the Kings' pick), since Miami will have a far better record than Sacramento...so that pick will be swapped with the Lakers' 1st.

3) Therefore, the Lakers' pick suddenly becomes a top 3-5 (depending on where Miami finishes), and Phoenix gets it.

------------

Now, with that said...it looks to me like, in the Phoenix trade for Steve Nash, we sent them an unprotected 2013 first.

Priority-wise, the Suns will have to wait to see where that pick actually lands, since the Cleveland trade happened first (I'm assuming that's how it goes).

Otherwise, IF WE DON'T MAKE THE PLAYOFFS, the Suns get our lottery pick, and Cleveland is suddenly out of the picture (since that pick was lottery-protected against CLE).

Translation: the Suns get the pick, regardless...but Cleveland could ruin it for them, by making that pick a late first, if we make the playoffs.