CP3 Endures Heat of Expectations

Clippers' Chris Paul endures heat of championship expectations

http://i47.tinypic.com/2znofx5.png

http://i46.tinypic.com/9is2ag.png

Posted Jan 16, 2013 11:21 AM

No one will forget the toll championship expectations extracted from LeBron James, the most physically gifted and skilled player the league has known and the player with the highest basketball IQ playing today. Championship expectations are the NBA's litmus test for greatness. They're the trial by fire that burned me, Julius Erving, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, Shaquille O'Neal, Dirk Nowitzki and countless others before melding us into champions.

It's difficult to appreciate the burden, the weight and the mental fatigue of NBA championship expectations. Counting the playoffs, it's a 100-game death march carried out almost exclusively by players labeled "superstars" by the media, players whose careers will eventually be defined by what they accomplish in June. A close victory against the wrong team in January can be viewed as a lack of preparedness for June. A one-or two-game losing streak in March can create doubt that lingers until May. (...)

Chris Paul plays for the Clippers, an organization that wasn't considered a favorite until this year. He led them on a 17-game winning streak that stamped the Clips as championship favorites. There was no time to prepare. He has a chance to survive this, a chance to avoid the trial-by-fire championship-expectations burns that scorched the overwhelming majority of us the first time we confronted them. I'd say he has a chance. Here is why...

Full Story

CP3 was quick to tweet this:

Big thanks to @iamisiahthomas for the great story!!! #Legend