Looking deep into the Lakers' performance so far

Real Deal

The simmons-lowe email exchange on Grantland is another decent read regarding LA. it comes down to D'Antoni. Accountability is non-existent on both ends of the floor, Pau gasol has been relegated to being big Z on offense, and Kobe's constant cheating on defense is setting the tone for the rest of the team. Simmons said something along the lines that there are 2 types of coaches; ones that look at their players, and develop a system that suits them, and others who look at their players and force their players to play in their system. Obviously D"Antoni is the 2nd one.

I can't help but wonder what a coach like Van Gundy would be able to do in LA, where you know there would be accountability on both ends of the floor, which i honestly think is one of the biggest, if not the biggest problems in LA right now.

Here's a link to the article if you're interested:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8872264/lakers

The simmons-lowe email exchange on Grantland is another decent read regarding LA. it comes down to D'Antoni. Accountability is non-existent on both ends of the floor, Pau Gasol has been relegated to being big Z on offense, and Kobe's constant cheating on defense is setting the tone for the rest of the team. Simmons said something along the lines that there are 2 types of coaches; ones that look at their players, and develop a system that suits them, and others who look at their players and force their players to play in their system. Obviously D"Antoni is the 2nd one.

(...)Here's a link to the article if you're interested:

http://www.grantland.../8872264/lakers

Z? More like Z-:

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2013/0123/grantland_kg_pau2yrcomp02_1152.jpg

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2013/0123/grantland_kg_pau2yrcomp01_1152.jpg

pau is still a 18 ppg 10rpg player on any given team

he is playing like this on purpose,

why go hard when the head coach is an idiot who wants to play you off the bench and make you change your game

when your already established???

gasol is jus taking it easy, waiting for the trade and he'a gonna bust off big time

like VC once he became a net

To sum up my feelings on why the Lakers have sucked this year, in order of importance...

1A) Coaching.

1B) Depth.

2) Being below average athletically at 4 of the 5 starting positions, and also basically the entire bench.

3) Injuries.

4) Gasol.

Bottom line is their 2 "permanent" coaches are retards, they lack talent outside of the top 4 and that 4th guy has played miserably, and since training camp they've been hit pretty hard with injuries to their most important players. Add it all up and you get this shit show.

• Owner

The funny thing about our lack of depth is, there's really no use in giving it as a reason for our struggles because, quite frankly, our starters can't even build a lead to allow our bench to come in and do anything (and I'm sure they wouldn't to begin with, we have nothing in our second unit, aside from Earl Clark...who was just moved up to starter).

Even a team with one of the worst benches in the league (like we had once or twice in the last few seasons) should be above .500 with this type of talent in the starting five, but being great on paper means nothing if you don't have a coach to put it all together with the correct offense and ANY kind of defensive system (at this point, I don't give a shit what he wants to do on defense, as long as he practices SOMETHING).

Don't worry, guys...I can handle this frustration. I've been an Oakland Raiders fan for over two decades, so I'm prepared for this.

• Like 1

The funny thing about our lack of depth is, there's really no use in giving it as a reason for our struggles because, quite frankly, our starters can't even build a lead to allow our bench to come in and do anything (and I'm sure they wouldn't to begin with, we have nothing in our second unit, aside from Earl Clark...who was just moved up to starter).

See, I look at it a bit differently...having a deep bench allows you to adjust if the starting lineup is sucking like it has been. They have NOTHING to replace Nash, Kobe and Metta with if those guys are being exposed by their matchup (Nash's poor defense, a cold shooting night by Kobe, Metta being...Metta, etc...). They have 0 explosive scoring threats off the bench. They've never had any reasonable replacement for Pau during all his struggles (Clark is nice, but he's not starter material yet, and he's undersized). No defensive stoppers off the bench. No one that can change the tempo of the game in contrast to the starters.

I do agree they should still be above .500, but I still view it as a HUGE reason for their historical sucking.

Don't worry, guys...I can handle this frustration. I've been an Oakland Raiders fan for over two decades, so I'm prepared for this.

You should say that on TLN bruv.

Fortunately for myself, I started watching the Lakers in the post-Magic era with Del Harris. And watched them during the post-Shaq era.

Fortunately for myself, I started watching the Lakers in the post-Magic era with Del Harris. And watched them during the post-Shaq era.

Stop. Since Magic left you guys have NEVER won less than 33 games. Had a losing record only 3x. Within 5 years after breaking up Showtime you guys were back winning 50+ games with a young Shaq/Kobe duo. Since Magic left you guys have won 50 games 14x (counting the lockout seasons based on winning %). You won 60+ games 3x. 5 championships. 7 Finals appearances. Saw two top 10 players in their primes.

Meanwhile, here in NJ...

http://pauloccamacho.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/netsfansbags.jpg

YOU DON'T KNOW PAIN LAKERS FANS!!!!

• Like 1

When you started watching the Lakers you had banner after banner hanging in the rafters, fielding solid teams and having all that history to remember.

When I had Nets season tickets in '97 you know what I got? Keith Van [expletive]ing Horn, and the stupid pre-game video on the jumbotron of him flying a [expletive]ing spaceship with Kerry Kittles (or Kedall Gill, I forget). Oh, we did have this up and comer with a lot of promise named Jayson Williams. He fulfilled that potential by shooting his limo driver with a shotgun.

I hope to god the Lakers suck for a few years to bring you fans down to Earth a bit...not necessarily you or anyone here, just in general. Greediest, most entitled fanbase in all of sports besides the Yankees.

• Owner

Pretty sure it's scrapped!

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers/post/_/id/35614/lakers-rise-as-dantonis-offense-ditched

Tons of quotes from Lakers reporters, saying that both Nash and MDA are good with playing through Kobe.

YES.

Funny how people are blaming the lack of depth but at the start of the season Laker fans and NBA fans alike were drooling at the thought of having Meeks, Jamison, and Hill come off the bench. This team was supposed to be flawless.

I've been complaining about the lack of athelticism on this roster for the past two years now. The game is evolving but managmement hasnt tweaked the roster one bit. The whole twin tower thing hasn't worked under D'Antoni and it wouldn't have worked under any other coach because Pau is DONE. We should have traded when his value was peaking a season or two ago for an atheltic wing and started Jordan Hill especially after how well he played in the postseason last year. But how we're either stuck with him for next season or will get garbage in return if we decide to trade him.

I fail to see how Dwight is a superstar, granted he still isn't at full strength yet and probably wont be this season. He doesn't have a post game. His go to move is a running sky hook which is very ineffective as he gets stripped a good chunk of the time because he brings the ball so low. Should his shot attempts be higher. Yes. But I'm not convinced that he would do much even if we made it a point of emphasis of getting him more post ups.

• Owner

A non-superstar doesn't carry his team to the NBA Finals.

He doesn't seem like that player right now, but he's still giving us 17/12 on 58% FG (nearly his career averages), and his defensive numbers (oppFG% and oppPER) are actually better than they were back in 2009.

He gets stripped a lot because we have nobody to spread the floor, and it's very, very easy for the defense to take a step into the paint if we aren't threats from beyond the arc.

How easy has it been to front him with multiple players?  It's devastating, if a team can do that to us.  It's one thing to front the post with one guy, and everyone else is spread out...but to be able to switch off with THREE DIFFERENT GUYS in one possession?  That's insane.  That's horrible, horrible spacing.

It was never the right offense.  It wasn't right for Dwight, Gasol, Kobe, even Nash...who is nearly 39 and struggling to come out of the P&R without being trapped 28 feet from the rim.

Therefore, we changed it up significantly, making Nash the shooter, Kobe the facilitator...and it will work.

------------

Anyone old enough remember 1989, Chicago Bulls...Jordan's eight of nine games where he had triple-doubles?  Remember when Craig Hodges was starting?  He hit 22-31 from three in a stretch of six consecutive games for Chicago, and Jordan was racking up so many assists, he looked like Magic Johnson in a Bulls jersey.

When Craig Hodges fell to injury, John Paxson replaced him...and Paxson wasn't a good three-point shooter at the time, shot maybe eight or nine threes in his last nine games of the season, and it was FAR too easy to defend Jordan...and the Bulls were dreadful to finish the season.

Nash needs to be our three-point shooter.  He's the greatest shooter at the PG position...ever.  One of the greatest shooters, period.  It puzzled me, seeing him pass up so many shots...but, with the change in our offense (as MDA and Nash pointed out), we can start winning games and make a serious push for the playoffs.

• 1 month later...
  • Owner

Straight from Nash's mouth:

"Yeah this isn't really Mike's system," Nash said. "We're all trying to find a commonality. I think that was the idea [to play D'Antoni's system] but maybe the pieces don't fit that system like we thought they could have and we're trying to find a hybrid of options we can be effective at."

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers/post/_/id/36057/steve-nash-more-comfortable-in-new-role