Stein: Raptors Seriously Pursuing Rudy Gay

The Memphis Grizzlies continue to field calls from teams interested in Rudy Gay and are engaged in active trade discussions with the Toronto Raptors, sources with knowledge of the talks told ESPN.com.

Although the framework of a workable trade has not yet been established, sources told ESPN.com that Toronto -- known to be perhaps Gay's most determined suitor -- has continued to make a hard push for the swingman.

The Grizzlies, though, maintain that last week's luxury-tax-slashing trade with Cleveland means they no longer feel the same pressure to move Gay or another high-priced player before the NBA's Feb. 21 trade deadline.

New Grizzlies CEO Jason Levien told local reporters late last week that "we really like our team" and that it is "more likely than not that we do nothing" in terms of breaking up Memphis' marquee foursome of Gay, point guard Mike Conley, forward Zach Randolph and center Marc Gasol.

But sources say that the Raptors, undaunted by that stance, continue to pursue Gay and also covet Grizzlies forward Darrell Arthur. Toronto, sources said, has made veteran point guard Jose Calderon and blossoming young forward Ed Davis available as the two cornerstones of its offer.

Ugh.

Who's ready for a DeMar DeRozan, Andrea Bargnani and Rudy Gay core? Yay for complete basketball purgatory!

I don't think it'd be that bad...Hah hah.

Let me put it this way...

Toronto will be paying DeRozan, Bargnani, Gay and Fields a combined $44.4M next year and $46.6M more the following year.

Assuming the cap stays the same next year as it was this year, these 4 players will eat up 76.6% of the cap.

That make you change your mind?

Ugh.

Who's ready for a DeMar DeRozan, Andrea Bargnani and Rudy Gay core? Yay for complete basketball purgatory!

Meh, not great, but a Lowry-Derozan-Gay-Amir-Val core with Ross off the bench (him at the 2 is obviously a better fit than Demar but Demar plays due to his bloated deal) and Bargs too (if not amnestied) is at least pretty intriguing, and easily the best team on paper the Raps have had.

Losing Davis would suck, he's been my favourite Raptor for a while, but at the same time I can't help but admit I am kind of intrigued by this team, especially with Ross at the 2.

If we're giving anything more than Davis and Jose (and spare parts) then no thanks.

Meh, not great, but a Lowry-Derozan-Gay-Amir-Val core with Ross off the bench (him at the 2 is obviously a better fit than Demar but Demar plays due to his bloated deal) and Bargs too (if not amnestied) is at least pretty intriguing, and easily the best team on paper the Raps have had.

Losing Davis would suck, he's been my favourite Raptor for a while, but at the same time I can't help but admit I am kind of intrigued by this team, especially with Ross at the 2.

If we're giving anything more than Davis and Jose (and spare parts) then no thanks.

I'm not feeling it.

That team is a clear tier or two worse than Miami, New York, Brooklyn, Chicago or Indiana. Absolute best case scenario is they are a 6th seed who is completely capped out and is relying on a miracle (Valanciunas becoming a franchise center) to ever become more than first round fodder for one of the above teams.

Factor in a Lowry extension and you are looking at a team that is right at the luxury tax and has no chance of getting past the first round. Sure, it would be nice to see playoff basketball for the first time in a long time, but that feeling will go away rather quickly after watching them get dominated year after year with no hope of being able to really improve the team because of how close they'll be to the tax, and we both know that the likelyhood of MLSE paying the tax is very slim.

I realize the chances of Toronto ever becoming a legitimate contender is miniscule at best, but I'd rather hold out hope for that than committ to being the definition of a treadmill team, which this roster absolutely screams.

• Owner

Toronto needs a legitimate primary scoring option.  The Grizzlies want to get out from underneath Rudy Gay's contract, but just as much, they'd like to escape him taking so many shots (as a true second option, much like Granger is) without creating for his teammates.

Honestly, I could see Rudy finding success with a coach like Phil or Pop, or playing on a roster with Kobe or Duncan...but in Toronto, nobody will be able to define a role for him, and he's just that kind of player to walk in and think he has to carry the load every night, especially since Toronto won't be contending.

I started to like the direction the Raptors were headed, and they almost had me believing they were going to trade Andrea Bargnani.  This team should be looking to do THAT, and even dumping Jose out there with him, and trying to get draft picks and pieces to fit with who they have right now.

To me, Rudy is like Josh Smith and, as mentioned, Danny Granger.  They are both second-option scorers who think they are franchise players (and who basically brainwashed their respective organizations into thinking they were). 

Toronto truly does have a lot of talent in Valanciunas, Lowry, DD, Davis and Ross...and they aren't old and out of their primes.  Try and put something together.

So who's the starting forward for Memphis if they lose Gay? I don't see the point for either side. Calderon and Davis would not get the playing time they deserve in Memphis, and Toronto would be losing a key building block in Davis.

• Owner

So who's the starting forward for Memphis if they lose Gay? I don't see the point for either side. Calderon and Davis would not get the playing time they deserve in Memphis, and Toronto would be losing a key building block in Davis.

Regardless of the reports, if it happens, it will be a three-way deal.  Boston will likely send Pierce to Memphis.  The Celtics need a PG now, and they could also use a PF like Ed Davis...makes sense if you bring them into the mix.

The Grizzlies have wanted Pierce for a long time.

• Owner

I just don't see how Boston trades pierce.  just don't.

If there weren't instances of it happening in the past (with both Houston and New York, Hakeem and Ewing), I'd dismiss it as well...but nothing would surprise me, especially when Doc basically states that he'll do whatever it takes to win, and threatens that players will be up for trade.

It would make sense for Boston to trade for a PG and a PF, move Jeff Green down to the three permanently.  Is Calderon and Davis worth Pierce?  Hard to say, but based off of NEED, probably so.

Boston won't get anywhere with those two over Pierce, though...but, they were going to be tossed in the first round anyway, by Miami, New York or Chicago (the Bulls would have Rose back).

The final hurdle for the salary dump of Memphis Grizzlies forward Rudy Gay to the Toronto Raptors hinges on finding a third team to absorb the expiring contract of Raptors guard Jose Calderon, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Grizzlies have inquired with multiple teams over the past several days, searching for a willing partner to facilitate a three-team deal, sources said.

Despite organizational proclamations to the contrary, new Memphis ownership and management is determined to unload Gay and the $37 million owed him as soon as possible, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Calderon has a $10.5 million expiring contract.

"With so many quality point guards, they're struggling to find a spot for Calderon," one league general manager told Yahoo! Sports.

Preferably, the Grizzlies want a less expensive small forward to plug into the lineup for Gay, sources said. Memphis has been relentless in shopping Gay over the past several weeks.

In a proposed deal, Memphis would likely receive another young Raptors player and a future draft pick, sources said. The Grizzlies have unsuccessfully tried to pry Raptors rookie Terrence Ross as part of the deal, sources said. Toronto has deemed Ross untouchable in these talks.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--grizzlies--raptors-looking-for-third-team-to-facilitate-rudy-gay-trade-033758281.html

So now the Raptors are also adding a future draft pick? [expletive]ing brilliant.

I never thought I'd say this, but I desperately hope that no team wants to trade for Calderon.

• Owner

I read somewhere that Boston wants Lowry, so it's making things much more difficult because Lowry isn't making enough money...the Raptors would have to deal Amir or Fields with him + Davis, just to land Rudy Gay.

If Toronto just goes with the Calderon + Davis trade...

C - Valanciunas

PF - Bargnani

SF - Gay

SG - DeRozan

PG - Lowry

That's with everyone healthy, and it looks good enough to be a playoff team, no doubt...but like you said, that $16 million for Rudy is a cap-crippling paycheck.

I just don't see why the Raptors won't trade Bargnani.

• Like 1

That (trading Lowry to land Gay) is counter-productive since a big part of the appeal with Gay is the fact that him and Lowry are really tight.

Colangelo has been known to go after "pairs" in his time with Toronto. At one point or another, he has had:

Calderon - Garbajosa

Jack/Ford - Bosh

Belinelli - Bargnani

That marks 4 times in 7 years where Colangelo has made an effort to sign or trade for a close frined of somebody who is, in his mind, a integral member of the team. I think he is banking on that Lowry/Gay connection to perhaps settle Lowry down a bit and to also hopefully get him to commit to the team by signing an extension.

• Owner

Makes sense...didn't think about that, but Colangelo has done that over the years, lol.  That's funny.

Don't think they would trade Lowry and Davis for Gay, anyway, despite the connection.

Would he trade Lowry and Davis for Pau Gasol?  Probably so, since Gasol is more Bargnani than anyone else...so hopefully, he gets on that.  We'll be waiting.

• Owner

David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt

Source confirms @ESPNSteinLine report that MEM will send Rudy Gay/Haddadi to Toronto for Ed Davis/Calderon, who will be flipped to Detroit.

There's the deal, Toronto.

Memphis trades

Rudy Gay (to TOR)

Hamed Haddadi (to TOR)

Toronto trades

Ed Davis (smh) (to MEM)

Jose Calderon (to DET)

Detroit trades

Tayshaun Prince (to MEM)

Austin Daye (to MEM)

Its essentially Davis + expiring for Gay, which isn't bad, but when your team is 16-29 you don't lock yourself into mediocrity like this.

Then again given Colangelo's history, I doubt he would have made much use of cap room anyways.