NCAA Gameday - 3/24

Real Deal

Aaron Craft with his best Chauncey Billups impression.

A bunch of mistakes and boneheaded plays down the stretch to allow Iowa St. to climb out of a double digit hole, only to make two big plays late to close out the game.

Kudos to him for drawing that charge and hitting the game winning three, but if he doesn't play like complete garbage down the stretch, this game doesn't need to come to that. Now we will hear about how clutch Craft was because of that shot when it never should've came to that int he first place.

EDIT: According to the rule book, the charge Craft drew actually should've been a block, so that cancels out one of his two "clutch plays".

Indiana escapes by the skin of their teeth.

I like watching Indiana, but I also wanted to see them lose simply because I wanted to see what kind of reaction it would've brought and how completely contradictory it would've been in comparision to the reaction to the Gonzaga loss last night.

• Owner

Can't set a score for the KU game. Every time I do, they get blown out.

And Billups works for Craft, but it reminds me more of Derek Fisher, since he has had those games dating back to 1996, lol.

McAdoo playing like crap and just picked up his 2nd foul.

You would think that would be a big deal, but, honestly, I disagree. Unlike Steve Kerr, I don't think McAdoo is the key to UNC this game. Sure, it would be nice if he could draw Withey away from the paint, but at the end of the day if UNC wants to pull off the upset, they need Hairston, Bullock and Paige to have hot shooting games.

Unfortunately, Hairston is not off to a good start. 0-7 already and just got benched by a furious Roy Williams for his shot selection.

Kansas and UNC are both off to abysmal starts

And yet you wouldn't know it based on the way Kerr keeps on harping about KU's poor shooting and not UNC, who was actually shooting worse than KU at the time.

Hairston is so damn strong, though. The fact that he was even able to get the ball above the rim on that play is a testament to that considering he had one defender bodying up on him and another grabbing him by the arm. I'm not sure how the refs missed the foul there, but I'll take the basket at this point. Hopefully that gets him going.

EDIT: Well, I think i got my makeup call. Hairston looked like he slid under Tharpe on that one. Should've been a block.

Like I said in the other thread, Carolina was going to have to shoot lights out to win. I knew McAdoo would struggle with the size of Withey (5-19 from the field), and with Carolina only shooting 6-22 from 3, that wouldn't get it done. Withey altered so many shots inside, and just dominated in the 2nd half. McLemore was 0-9 from the field, 0-6 from 3, Kansas has 22 turnovers, and still win by double digits? Crazy.

McAdoo has to be one of the most overrated players in the country. I can't believe I was so high on him coming into the season because, quite frankly, the guy sucks at basketball. He looks the part, but that is about it.

He was a complete dud everytime UNC played any team worth a damn. Every game against a decent team that I saw this season, McAdoo was a ghost or in foul trouble.

Call me crazy, but I like Brice Johnson heading into next year more than I do McAdoo, assuming he stays around, which I don't think happens.

^Completely agree. He struggles against anyone with size. He plays scared a lot down low, and his mid range game needs a lot of work. He played well last year when Henson went out because he had Zeller down low with him, but with him having to play the 5, he really struggles.

It isn't just playing the 5, though. He struggled before Roy went small and put Hairston into the lineup.

Granted, Joel James and Desmond Hubert are certainly no Tyler Zeller, but they enable him to play the 4 and not have to guard the other teams biggest player, but he still struggled with them as well.

The problem really comes down to the fact he just doesn't have any real skill offensively. He has the body and athleticism that should create mismatches by taking bigger players off the dribble but when you don't have to respect his jumper, they can just sag off him and use length to keep him at distance like Withey did today.

Then when he does manage to get by his man and get to the rim, his touch around the basket is pretty mediocore. I can't blame him today because Withey was obviously making him uncomfortable and rush his shots, but even when he wasn't going against elite defenders/shot blockers, he still didn't finish that greatly under duress.

I'm not trying to say he sucks or anything, but he needs a lot of work to become a basketball player and not just an athlete who players basketball.

^Yeah. I just had really high hopes for him coming into the season but he just hasn't progressed like I thought he would.

On a side not, FLORIDA GOLF COAST. Are you serious? This team is so fun to watch. First 15 seed to ever make it to the Sweet 16.

^Yeah. I just had really high hopes for him coming into the season but he just hasn't progressed like I thought he would.

Speaking of progession, I'm really excited to see Paige next year. The improvements he made throughout the course of the season were great and I think he is going to have a superb season next year. I was a big Paige fan coming into the season and probably had too high of expectations for him to begin with, but his play at the end of the year was about what I was expecting from him this year. I think he is going to have a monster year next year and in the discussion for the best point guard in the ACC with Shane Larkin.

Speaking of Larkin, huge 3 from him right there. Even if I'm at the point where I want to see all the higher seeds lose, part of me is pulling for the Canes simply because I really enjoy watching Larkin play.

I really hate that you can't review that. The ball was clearly off of Kadji yet the refs can't review the call. Instead of Illinois ball with a 2 point defecit, it is now a two possession game with 35 seconds. Huge, potentially game deciding, swing all because the refs can't take a look at that.