Pistons RELEASE Josh Smith ; Rockets frontrunners to sign

Dash

Pistons apparently fed up with Josh Smith and couldn't find any deal to get rid of him. They used the stretch provision to limit his cap hit every season but will be paying him until 2020. 

Woj is reporting Rockets are clearly ahead in the running: 

@WojYahooNBA Houston has strengthened its position as the frontrunner to sign Josh Smith, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

Motiejunas has been playing well and Smith is a questionable fit with Dwight offensively. Would this be a good or bad move on Houston's part?

There aren't many teams in the league where Josh Smith would fit in in my opinion. He wouldn't be a good fit for Houston either. You gonna bench Terrence Jones after he's been so so good for them?

i agree. I wonder if they would have the balls to put smith on the bench

There aren't many teams in the league where Josh Smith would fit in in my opinion. He wouldn't be a good fit for Houston either. You gonna bench Terrence Jones after he's been so so good for them?

You mean Motiejunas? Jones has been out for weeks haha. 

i agree. I wonder if they would have the balls to put smith on the bench

Nope. Josh Smith is confirmed by Woj to be the starter on the team. Motiejunas gets to be the first option off the bench though, which could end up being beneficial.

You mean Motiejunas? Jones has been out for weeks haha. 

I meant in general. Obviously DM is playing due to an injured TJ. But if I'm Jones, I'd be a little bit upset with the signing of Josh Smith, who will all of a sudden be getting the start. Jones worked his ass off and put in the time and effort to become the starting PF for the Rockets. And now, all of a sudden, someone with a bad attitude and could be a chemistry killing, who hasn't done anything with the team, is now getting the start because he used to be relevant and is best buds with Dwight...I'd be fairly upset if I were Jones.

In my opinion, Josh Smith is a cancerous player (much like Antoine Walker, Steve Francis, etc were, I did have Jamal Crawford in this category but he's been great for the Clipps) that is very selfish. We'll see how it goes though for the Rockets, and if McHale can keep him in check.

I meant in general. Obviously DM is playing due to an injured TJ. But if I'm Jones, I'd be a little bit upset with the signing of Josh Smith, who will all of a sudden be getting the start. Jones worked his ass off and put in the time and effort to become the starting PF for the Rockets. And now, all of a sudden, someone with a bad attitude and could be a chemistry killing, who hasn't done anything with the team, is now getting the start because he used to be relevant and is best buds with Dwight...I'd be fairly upset if I were Jones.

In my opinion, Josh Smith is a cancerous player (much like Antoine Walker, Steve Francis, etc were, I did have Jamal Crawford in this category but he's been great for the Clipps) that is very selfish. We'll see how it goes though for the Rockets, and if McHale can keep him in check.

Jones was pretty awful until the first 4 games of this season where he started to look like an excellent fit next to Dwight. His situation now is iffy but he had his opportunity to secure his starting role last year and didn't deliver. He did look good early but it's a small sample size and now he's out indefinitely with a nerve issue and we don't know if he can perform at that kind of level again.

I don't think this is a slap in Tj's face at all. You go hurt and have been out indefinitely, its only right the team makes arrangements to remain competitive. Get healthy and then earn your minutes/spot back.

I think this is more a slap to Motiejunas' face. Dude was balling with Dwight out then Dwight comes back and Smith steals his starting spot and he loses his touches.

Jones was pretty awful until the first 4 games of this season where he started to look like an excellent fit next to Dwight. His situation now is iffy but he had his opportunity to secure his starting role last year and didn't deliver. He did look good early but it's a small sample size and now he's out indefinitely with a nerve issue and we don't know if he can perform at that kind of level again.

I think this is more a slap to Motiejunas' face. Dude was balling with Dwight out then Dwight comes back and Smith steals his starting spot and he loses his touches.

That i can agree with. Dmo had been playing well and didn't deserve an immediate demotion to Josh but with a new guy coming in someone is going to lose something thats always a given. I'm just happy Dmo was a professional about it. I think he will still average 20-25 minutes per game which is good for him. I just hope he doesn't get out of rhythm with this demotion.

I still like that the Pistons are 3-0 since cutting Josh Smith. But you guys both make valid points. I just don't like Josh Smith and think he'll ultimately hurt the Rockets in the long run.

Maybe but that remains to be seen. So far his offense has been pretty bad but his defense has been very good. I'd still have rather Motiejunas out there though.

Smith-Ariza-Brewer out on defense together is amazing to watch.

I still like that the Pistons are 3-0 since cutting Josh Smith. But you guys both make valid points. I just don't like Josh Smith and think he'll ultimately hurt the Rockets in the long run.

Well we only signed him for the remained of the season so far so he can only hurt so much.

Maybe but that remains to be seen. So far his offense has been pretty bad but his defense has been very good. I'd still have rather Motiejunas out there though.

Smith-Ariza-Brewer out on defense together is amazing to watch.

I think thats why we mainly signed him. We need a guy outside of Howard to play defense on opposing bigs like Aldridge, Dirk, Z-Bo, Duncan, and Davis. Combined we have 12 fouls to give lol

Josh Smith and Dwight Howard? Yikes. Can they both stay on the floor at the same time late in close games? Neither can shoot free-throws at all.

Yeah i think we are ok, down the stretch Harden has the ball as it is. 

Well we only signed him for the remained of the season so far so he can only hurt so much.

I think thats why we mainly signed him. We need a guy outside of Howard to play defense on opposing bigs like Aldridge, Dirk, Z-Bo, Duncan, and Davis. Combined we have 12 fouls to give lol

Yeah i think we are ok, down the stretch Harden has the ball as it is. 

But we already do. Motiejunas is just behind only Dwight Howard, Serge Ibaka, Roy Hibbert and Andrew Bogut for 5th best oFG% at the rim. :)

• 4 months later...