Can Brooklyn win it all with bad defense?

Real Deal

• Owner

Looking at offensive/defensive ratings, I can't ignore the fact that the Brooklyn Nets, while ranked 1st in offense, are also ranked 26th in defensive rating.

The last team to win a championship without being ranked at LEAST in the top half of the league, defensively, were the 2000-01 Los Angeles Lakers, and that's primarily because they lost Ron Harper in late February, and it took Kobe and Shaq to completely go off and nearly run the table in the playoffs...KB at 29/7/6 and Shaq with 30/15.

Even since those Lakers pulled it off, only one team (KD's Warriors in 2018) were not in the top 10 (they were 11th, defensively).

Can the Nets win it all as one of the worst defensive teams in the NBA?  Can they get past the Sixers (Simmons and Embiid), a team that has the potential to disrupt both their perimeter and interior play?  How would they stop a top 3 defensive team in the league that has Davis and Drummond up front, with LeBron slashing to the rim?

• 4 weeks later...

The tough thing to judge with this team is that their Big Three have played so few games together that it is almost impossible to get a read on them, both positive and negative. There is so little footage of them playing together that it will be hard to gameplan a defensive scheme to shut down their pet plays and what not. However, on the flip side, they also won't have that built in chemistry where they just know where everyone else on the floor will be at any given moment which is what makes it so difficult to guard teams that have that built in comradery. 

I'm not even going to bother mentioning their defense since we all know any team with Harden and Irving as the starting backcourt is going to be a revolving door on the perimeter, especially when you add in Joe Harris.

They are obviously the most talented team in the East but if I had to put money down, I don't think they come out of the East, let alone win a championship. I'm not completely up to date on the standings but if the second round matchup is Brooklyn vs MIlwaukke I'm taking the Bucks in that matchup.