Raptors Draft Talk

Alright back before OTR/DH shut down I like to think of myself as the resident draft guru. In the time since the Raptors actually turned into one of the best franchises in the entire NBA and haven't been lottery bound (Bargnani trade to the Knicks aside, still a wtf moment if I've ever seen one) for 8 years I admit to have slacked off tremendously in the draft area. Well, that ends this year. We are back in the lottery boys!

I admit to not knowing much about the draft class this year. The only player I've seen a lot of is Jalen Suggs due to my Zags fandom. So with that said, with the Raptors locked into the 7th best lottery odds after their loss to the Bulls tonight, now is the time to talk draft. Enlighten me on who you think are the best players for them if they don't get lucky and move up.

• Owner

Man, are you anticipating Lowry's departure?  Because if you believe he's leaving, I'd cross my fingers for the Raptors to look at Davion Mitchell, out of Baylor.  I've watched most of his games (since Baylor is in the Big 12), and he's a pretty good shooter and a great defender.  He had some really good games against Kansas State and Texas, and he didn't do too bad in that championship game against Gonzaga, if I recall correctly.

Otherwise, the draft is filled with a lot of decent wings, but I think you guys are good there.  There's really only one big man I can think of that would help you guys out a little, but I'm not sure if he's worth passing up Mitchell.  It's Kai Jones, out of Texas (another I've watched in the Big 12, haha)...but that's drafting a player on potential, because he didn't do enough to earn a lotto pick if you're just looking at his numbers from last year. 

Evan Mobley is the best big man in the draft, hands down, but you'd have to trade up to get him, because he's going top 5, if not 1-3.  That would be your franchise player.

I like Mitchell but I'm curious what is his upside?

I may be biased but I genuinely believe that this season was a one off of terrible circumstances for the Raptors and that they are going to be right back in that second tier playoff group next season, assuming covid has settle down and they are back in Toronto and all that. Because of that, I want to see the Raptors try and swing for the fences this year and find a player who could potentially put them over the edge. Is Mitchell that guy? Or is there even that potential guy in this draft if they don't have some lottery luck?

From the limited amount of his games I've seen, I'm going to say no. I do love him as a tough, hard nosed, two way guard that I'm sure Raptor fans would love, but they have FVV and Flynn who both fill that mold, even if Lowry leaves. That said, I do think that Mitchell is the type of guy who would be very high on Masai and Webster's board. He definitely fits the mold of this current team. I wouldn't be upset with him at all but I also don't know if I'd be happy with the pick either.

Mobley is the one who most intrigues me for this team. From what I've gathered he's a work in progress but considering the complete lack of any decent big man on this team I'd love it if they could find a way to get him on the team. I know he has some risks attached to him but I have complete faith that the Raptors development staff would be able to get him to reach his full potential and become a star. Obviously the odds are very slim that they'd be in a position to draft him though.

• 1 month later...
  • Owner

Cunningham will likely go first, so I won't even entertain that.

Houston needs a legitimate two.  Christian Wood is their big for the time being, and Wall is their point moving forward, so they should take Green.

Cleveland doesn't need a PG (Garland is doing fine there, and they have a TO in his contract that they can pick up in '22).  They should look big and take Mobley.

If the Cavs go in a different direction, Toronto has a choice between Mobley and Suggs, IMO...and at that point, I would base it on what they want to do with Lowry.

• 2 weeks later...

My guess is that they end up with Suggs, which I am perfectly fine with as I think he is the perfect Lowry replacement. Brings all of the intangibles that make Lowry special while also being an elite athlete.

With that said, I don't think that guys like Allen or Wood are necessarily the types of pieces that you pass on a potential 7 foot force like Mobley could be though. He looks like he is going to be an elite defensive center once he bulks up and I am encouraged by his shooting percentages that he won't be able to be run off the floor, or at least game planned around, like a Rudy Gobert is. He seems like he is the prototypical new breed big man that you want. Super mobile 7 footer with great defensive instincts and the potential ability to spread the floor. HIs ceiling is so intriguing that it just makes me so skeptical that a team will pass on him, certainly not when the guys who are blocking him are Christian Wood and Jarrett Allen.

The thing too is I think Suggs and Mobley would both benefit tremendously from playing with Lowry for a season. Kyle is one of the best points in the league at involving his bigs in the game so Mobley would be a great fit learning how to play with an elite point guard which is such an important attribute for a big me in this day and age. Then obviously Suggs is a Lowry clone so if he can learn from the master for a year, perfect. 

• Owner

Well, if Mobley goes to Houston, then Cleveland will likely take Green, now that rumors are out that they are fielding offers for Sexton (and Sexton doesn't want to be there, anyway).

In that case, Toronto will have Suggs, but you guys could trade down and take Mitchell, who is damn good.  Analysts are comparing him to Marcus Smart, less physicality, but also an efficient scorer (one of the most efficient in college basketball, actually).

I wonder what the Raptors could get for #4...

Would you take #7 and Wiseman for #4 and a filler?

No. I'm extremely high on Suggs. I think any of the top 4 in this years draft go 1st overall last year. 

I'd be very pissed off if the Raptors traded down from 4. I'm very high on every one of the top 4 in this class and I'm not nearly as high on Wiseman or the non Barnes/Kuminga tier at 5 and 6.

The only trade I'd be happy with moving the 4th pick for is if the Thunder were offering Shai for it, but I don't see a scenario where they'd do that. If I'm not getting SGA, I'm happily taking whichever of Suggs, Green or Mobley are there at 4 and adding them to the OG, FVV, Siakam core.

• Owner

Yeah, I doubt SGA is on the table.  I've read otherwise, but I really doubt those rumors are true.  Nowadays, there are only a handful of sources I trust.  SGA's ceiling is a superstar, and if someone (the Thunder, or any team) can build around him and provide him with an all-star caliber teammate, he can be THAT guy.

Suggs has a lot of potential, also.  I can't say he can hit SGA's ceiling, but he can definitely be an all-star in this league if he plays his cards right.

Supposedly Jalen Green already has a promise and is considering shutting down workouts. I imagine that would be to the Rockets at 2. No way I'd shut down workouts so that I could go to the Cavs haha. 

With that said looks like It would be Mobley or Suggs for Toronto. Could just be grandstanding but there are rumours about Cleveland looking to deal Sexton now which would make them taking a guard like Suggs a lot more likely. But they are also the Cavs and are the organization that took Anthony Bennett number 1 and Dion Waiters at 4, so if any team is going to throw a wrench in things it'll definitely be the Cavs haha.

• Owner
5 hours ago, Built Ford Tough said:

What do you all think of the Scottie Barnes hype? Is it the typical "we have a clear top 4 so lets drum up some interest with another player" or do you think he has a legit chance of cracking into the top 4?

Barnes should be drafted by the 5th pick.  I don't see how Orlando passes him up for anyone else in this draft.  Do I take him any earlier?  Possibly, but it wouldn't surprise me, either.

To me, it's funny that his first name is Scottie...because he can be SCOTTIE PIPPEN if he improves his jumper and FT shooting.  He's around the same size, defends extremely well, and can run an offense as a point-forward.  Yeah, that's a massive ceiling, and I'm probably the only person giving him that ceiling...but it's better than hearing a name like Ben Simmons.

A while back, I think it was Tim Legler that said he plays a little like Draymond Green.  That makes sense, also.  I just don't know if you want to stick Barnes at the five and risk losing some of his abilities as both an offensive and defensive player.

So, yes, he's a top five pick for me.  I'm not taking him over Cade, though.  Barnes would be a clear-cut #2, IMO, if it wasn't for him potentially being a Ben Simmons.  Maybe Ben's current struggles actually hurt Barnes in this draft...that would be crazy.

• Owner
On 7/21/2021 at 11:04 PM, Built Ford Tough said:

Would you take him over Mobley or Suggs? It looks like Green is going 2 to Houston.

Barnes?  Yes, I would.  I guess it just depends on player development, though.  I'm not quite sure how that is in Toronto, Cleveland or Houston...really, their fans know more about it than I do.  He just needs someone to stick him into the gym and work on his shot every day, and not an assistant that just tells him to go shoot, but one that can take a look at his form and tell him (show him) exactly what he's doing wrong.

• 2 months later...

So I'm going to completely overreact off of a sample size of preseason and 2 games, but I'm an idiot for ever wanting Suggs over Barnes. I absolutely love Scottie and think he has the potential to be a top 10 player in the NBA during his prime if his development goes according to plan.

His feel for the game in combination with his size and athleticism is super rare. If he ever develops a reliable long range jump shot (his mid range game is way more advanced than I had anticipated) he is going to be a problem for the league.