RD1: #5 Dallas Mavericks vs. #4 LA Clippers

Real Deal

Mavs vs. Clippers  

2 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Owner

Here's the third WC game...and we'll know who's playing the Jazz after tonight (GSW).

Who wins this series? Best player? Discussion?

This one will be a fun series, IMO, but I don't see Dallas winning more than one game. They'll keep it close, because I feel like the Clippers tend to let off the gas in the postseason, and it really hurts their rhythm. Doncic will put up a couple of triple-doubles, but Kawhi and PG will give him fits. Plus, the Clippers are the best 3PT shooting team in the NBA, and Dallas tends to back off a bit and let teams shoot from 20+ feet out.

Clippers in 5. Luka will have a huge game, but the Clippers have too much talent for the Mavs.

Obviously it's easier to predict it now after today's game but my original prediction was Clippers in 6 and I'll stick with that. I figured Doncic would have one game where he single handedly carries his team to a win, plus another game where they find a way to pull one out, whether it's through them playing really well, the Clippers laying an egg like they are prone to do, or some combination of both. 

I think Doncic is definitely the most impactful player in the series. Even though I still think Kawhi is the better player, Doncic obviously has to do so much more for his team and the Mavs stand absolutely no chance without him bringing his best every night.

This is one of my most anticipated series though. Last years matchup was so much fun to watch. Seeing Doncic go up against the caliber of perimeter defenders that the Clippers have is so much fun to watch. I'm not saying its on the same level but I get Jordan going up against the Bad Boy Pistons vibes where you have an overmatched, budding MVP and all time great running into an elite team that will push him to his limit and, hopefully, enable him to get to that next level.

• Owner

Haha...well, I didn't expect that from the Clippers in the first game of the series.  Doncic is something else, and what about Tim Hardaway's son?!?!

I love the fact that Kawhi dunked on Kleber, and Kawhi, PG and Morris stared him down.  And they ended up losing, lol.

E2BrEv3WUAAWjqY.jpg

• Owner

Luka Magic pushed this to seven, and I can't believe his effort: 46 points and 14 assists.  They lost, but I think Luka proved to everyone that he's here, and I can argue he's a top three player at this very moment.

The Clippers looked pretty good today, as much as it pains me to say it.  They went on a 24-4 run, and 20-point turnaround after being down 5, to go up 15 before letting their foot off the gas and almost letting Luka back in.  Tough out for the Mavs, but they are one piece away (how about trading Porzingis?) from being a contender.

What a rollercoaster of a series, with the narrative seemly changing every few games. Luka with a tough 46 points, seeming to settle for more shots as the game went on. Hopefully he can get himself right at the free throw line as he certainly seemed to be in his own head as the game went on. 

Interesting that the Mavs traded Seth Curry away for Josh Richardson who was supposed to fill that closing role and more but struggled to even get playing time towards the end of the series. Probably safe to report he'll be picking up his $11.6m player option for next year. 

Will certainly be interesting to follow what the Mavs do this offseason. Porzingis at $31m and little-to-no trade value is worrisome. 

• Owner
5 hours ago, Cobb said:

What a rollercoaster of a series, with the narrative seemly changing every few games. Luka with a tough 46 points, seeming to settle for more shots as the game went on. Hopefully he can get himself right at the free throw line as he certainly seemed to be in his own head as the game went on. 

Interesting that the Mavs traded Seth Curry away for Josh Richardson who was supposed to fill that closing role and more but struggled to even get playing time towards the end of the series. Probably safe to report he'll be picking up his $11.6m player option for next year. 

Will certainly be interesting to follow what the Mavs do this offseason. Porzingis at $31m and little-to-no trade value is worrisome. 

IMO, Porzingis is a roadblock for the Mavericks.  As long as they feed him the ball, even though he's scoring 20/9 a night (just 13/5 in the playoffs), he kills the flow of the offense.  Plus, we all know the ball needs to be in Doncic's hands.  The fact that KP just said that he feels more like an afterthought than a co-star...I mean, he doesn't understand he's the Robin of the team, which isn't so bad if you're a contender.

If you can't accept your role, it's probably time for you to find another one somewhere else.