Can Damian Lillard Lead Portland to a Championship?

• Owner

I think he can, but he has to be on a defensive-minded team with an all-star stretch four or a facilitating point-forward (maybe) that can be his Robin.  This current team?  Probably not.  They are awful on the defensive end, and unless you're unloading three players that can give you 30+ a night (like the Nets), you aren't winning a chip like that.

Who do you think are reasonable targets for them to find those complementary pieces to Dame? I think a guy like John Collins would be great for them but I'm not sure if Atlanta is looking to move him still and even if they are, what can Portland offer for him?

But I agree with your general thought process that this team isn't built for Dame to lead them to a title. Just don't have the complimentary pieces around him to suit his game. Way too many one dimensional scorers.

• Owner

Collins would be good.  He's coming off his rookie deal, so he'll be a free agent this summer.  I don't think Portland could offer anything in a sign-and-trade, though, because what they have in value (ex. McCollum) is covered by Trae Young, and Collins is perfect for them.  Powell, Covington...the Hawks would probably take one over Huerter, but that's not enough to pry Collins away from them.

I wish Kawhi had interest in going to Portland, because I think he's leaving the Clippers if they lose to Dallas.  I just have a feeling Paul George will be by himself in LA.  He's likely to go to Miami, though, but if he would choose Portland, and they would work a S&T to get him (pretty sure they won't have the cap room otherwise), that would be very interesting to see.  It would take McCollum and a filler.

The bad thing about the Blazers, really, is that they are a first or second-round exit every year (okay, minus 2019), which to them means a lot: no ring, no lottery.  Basically, they just swim around in the middle of the pool.  They haven't had a lotto pick since 2013, when they picked McCollum.  It's that one player they need, the one that can take over defensively and can take the load off Lillard offensively, that they would thrive with.  McCollum can score 30, but he doesn't produce it when  you need it the most, and both him and Lillard couldn't defend me on the court.