Should the Spurs let DeRozan walk, work a sign and trade, or get him help?

• Owner

DeRozan is a free agent after this season, no PO/TO.  Unrestricted.

Do the Spurs let him walk and take the $28 million cap space, or use him in a sign-and-trade?  Or...do they try and bring him back on a new deal, and show they want to win with him by bringing in more talent?

Personally, I don't believe DeRozan would ever be a #1 option on a championship team, or even a contender, for that matter.  I know he had a couple of years in Toronto where they won 50+ games, one season they were second next to the Cavaliers, but I never really felt like they were contenders.  Maybe that was from the LeBron Effect in the Eastern Conference...everything was a cakewalk.  Toronto nearly lost their first and second round match-ups that year.

So what do I do?  I probably shoot for a sign-and-trade.  The cap space probably doesn't help me at all, because I doubt a big-name FA will come through that door...not for the Spurs, not with Pop having one foot out the door and the franchise nearing a reboot.