Breaking News: Joel Embiid has meniscus tear in right knee, will miss Game 5

• Owner

The Philadelphia 76ers announced Wednesday that superstar center Joel Embiid suffered a lateral meniscus tear in his right knee after taking an awkward fall during Game 4 of their first-round series against the Washington Wizards on Monday night.

The Sixers said the injury will not be treated with surgery, but instead with a physical therapy and treatment program. He will not play in Game 5 on Wednesday night and is day-to-day going forward.

ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski reported that managing potential swelling and pain in the knee will play a significant part in how soon Embiid would be able to return to the floor.

Embiid suffered the injury midway through the first quarter of Game 4, when he drove into the paint and fell awkwardly after being challenged by Wizards center Robin Lopez at the rim. After losing his balance on his way to the ground, Embiid landed with all of his weight on his right leg, then fell hard on his back.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31553588/philadelphia-76ers-joel-embiid-meniscus-tear-right-knee-game-5

• Owner

Won't lie...in my opinion, this is it for the Sixers.  Even if he does try and play through it, which would be a mistake, I don't think they'll beat the Hawks in the second round.  Embiid gives them so much of an advantage over all the teams in the league, both offensively and defensively, and he allows his teammates to save energy on both ends of the floor.  Huge loss.

• Owner
3 hours ago, Cobb said:

If I hadn't have known about the meniscus injury, I would've assumed he looked fine in Game 1. Getting tougher and tougher to trust these injury reports these days.

Exactly.  He lived up to his MVP consideration.  I can't tell you how many times I questioned injuries this year, especially for the Nets.