L.A. Lakers @ Memphis

Now wait a minute. Are you saying Kobe didn't perform well enough this game? Just curious...

I think it has more to do with Cleveland performing well enough. Kobe had a near perfect game tonight, and it was still way too close.

Nope, anyone can get 32 points, 6 rebounds and 7 assists with like over 60% shooting.

Nope, anyone can get 32 points, 6 rebounds and 7 assists with like over 60% shooting.

Anyone?

Kobe Bryant

40 mins, 32 pts on 13-19 (68%), 3-4 from 3PT, 7 rebs, 6 assists, 3 steals, 2 blocks

Ask Kevin Garnett to post numbers like that in the next game, or better yet, for the remainder of his career. Kobe played phenomenal. One of his better games this season. It's just that the Lakers are too lax whenever he's around, which to my dismay, is really effed up. Aside from Kobe, the rest of the team flat out sucked.

Anyone?

Kobe Bryant

40 mins, 32 pts on 13-19 (68%), 3-4 from 3PT, 7 rebs, 6 assists, 3 steals, 2 blocks

Ask Kevin Garnett to post numbers like that in the next game, or better yet, for the remainder of his career. Kobe played phenomenal. One of his better games this season. It's just that the Lakers are too lax whenever he's around, which to my dismay, is really effed up. Aside from Kobe, the rest of the team flat out sucked.

You might wanna get your sarcasm detector checked.

30? and hes played 1000 games?

Thats like 3 every 100 games.

makes one every 33 games on average.

Game winners per game is an unfair stat. Not every game is close enough to even need a game winner, and even then, Kobe doesn't take the game winners himself 100% of the time. Sometimes it's Fisher or Horry.... or Artest or Walton.

The better stat to look at, if it's around anywhere, is the ratio between game winners taken and game winners made in his career.

• Owner

The better stat to look at, if it's around anywhere, is the ratio between game winners taken and game winners made in his career.

Not exactly. There are probably PLENTY of guys who hit at a better percentage, game-winners only, than Kobe. Teams double him, and he's attempted game-winners with three defenders on him, just so he didn't have to pass it to Kwame or Smush.

Fisher has hit at a better percentage, I'm sure...but that's because when he does hit them, it's mainly with someone rushing to defend him off a double team (with the exception of the 0.4 on the Spurs).

But it's well-known that Bryant is more clutch than Fisher. When Derek was put in Bryant's situation against Boston, he threw up an airball.

Not exactly. There are probably PLENTY of guys who hit at a better percentage, game-winners only, than Kobe. Teams double him, and he's attempted game-winners with three defenders on him, just so he didn't have to pass it to Kwame or Smush.

Fisher has hit at a better percentage, I'm sure...but that's because when he does hit them, it's mainly with someone rushing to defend him off a double team (with the exception of the 0.4 on the Spurs).

But it's well-known that Bryant is more clutch than Fisher. When Derek was put in Bryant's situation against Boston, he threw up an airball.

I said a better stat to look at is the ratio between game winners taken and game winners made in his career, instead of looking at game winners out of the amount of total games played like Yugo was pointing out.

Also, keep in mind I said ratio not percentage. 3/4 game winners made in an entire career is far less impressive than someone who made 20/30.

If we were to go even further with this, and make a true accurate stat on who is more clutch than another, or just simply the ability to make game winning baskets, then I'm sure true and effective shooting percentages may come into play, as well as the amount of importance in each shot (playoff vs regular season, etc.), and maybe other things like the amount of close games the player has dealt with thought his career (like for example, Jordan was on better teams than Kobe throughout the majority of his career, therefore less close games, so as a result, less game winners needed).

• Owner

The way I look at it, looking at attempted game-winners and comparing them to makes (ratio or percentages, doesn't really matter) is like saying Dwight Howard is the better shooter because he "shoots" at a higher percentage than Bryant. We aren't factoring in anything else.

I'm willing to bet that a fresh clutch shooter (such as Fisher) that doesn't have to play 44-45 minutes and doesn't have to score 30 points a night or defend the best player, would have the ability to hit wide-open game-winners all night long...over someone like Bryant, who has two players on him, has to score 30, defends LeBron and plays 40+ minutes.

By ratio, by percentage, whatever you choose...Fisher looks better than Bryant...but again, we know that's ass backwards, and it would be most evident if their roles were reversed.

B, have you remembered at any point this season Kobe had a chance to win the game but missed? I recall 2 instances. First in Toronto, Luke Walton in bounding and gives him a terrible bounce pass, Kobe struggles to get it and fires a fade away 45 footer at the buzzer, it rims IN and OUT. Another was in Milwaukee, he had a chance to win it at the end of regulation, but missed. He redeemed himself later with pretty much the exact same shot at the buzzer.

Thats 6/8 for you. Like B already mentioned, his % suffers because of all the shots during the years of Smush/Kwame/Walton(ironically Walton even effected his % this year)/Cook/Evans, etc. Most of his game winners this year have come from one on one, except the Miami game where he was double teamed.

• Owner

B, have you remembered at any point this season Kobe had a chance to win the game but missed? I recall 2 instances. First in Toronto, Luke Walton in bounding and gives him a terrible bounce pass, Kobe struggles to get it and fires a fade away 45 footer at the buzzer, it rims IN and OUT. Another was in Milwaukee, he had a chance to win it at the end of regulation, but missed. He redeemed himself later with pretty much the exact same shot at the buzzer.

Thats 6/8 for you. Like B already mentioned, his % suffers because of all the shots during the years of Smush/Kwame/Walton(ironically Walton even effected his % this year)/Cook/Evans, etc. Most of his game winners this year have come from one on one, except the Miami game where he was double teamed.

Those are the only two I can think of.

And yeah, back then, teams would just double Bryant with their two best defenders, a big and a guard, and force him to pass it to someone else. I remember Odom's airball. I remember Luke Walton passing it back with no time on the clock (dumbest thing I've ever seen him do). I remember Kwame's brick. I remember Smush turning the ball over in one of our last possessions, instead of passing it to ANYONE else. I also remember Chucky Atkins chucky'ing up garbage to end a game.

Bryant gave them chances. At the end of the day, it was the other teams giving them chances, and just doing whatever it took to stop Bryant.

Remember Game 4 versus the Suns in the first round? Bell and Diaw, all over Bryant. Was Kobe going to pass the ball to the other losers? Helllll no...and I'm glad.

Damn I missed the game but I watched the highlights before I went to bed last night. Kobe is such a beast, first game back he hits a gamewinner lol. Quite a statline he put together for this one, we only won by 1 though which is kind of disappointing. I guess I was starting to get spoiled from our double digit victories while Kobe was out.