Smith Told Pritchard Blazers 'Caught A Break' With Turkoglu

After Hedo Turkoglu backed out of a verbal agreement with Portland in order to sign with the Raptors, many felt the Blazers let a top player slip away.

But Orlando Magic general manager Otis Smith didn't agree.

In a conversation with Blazers' general manager Kevin Pritchard, Smith told Pritchard that he had "caught a break" with Turkoglu signing elsewhere and made it clear the Blazers "weren't missing out on anything," sources tell RealGM's Alex Kennedy.

Smith didn't feel that Turkoglu was worth the five-year, $50 million Portland was ready to spend.

Turkoglu spent five seasons in Orlando before signing with Toronto.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/61111/20090812/smith_told_pritchard_blazers_caught_a_break_with_turkoglu/

Cannot deny what Smith is saying personally. In fact though Turkoglu wouldn't have fit in the Portland rotation and i question how he would play in their system. You have 3-4 guys that play that SF position and added 2 more guys to the PF position as well which Turkoglu can play either. Fernandez, Outlaw, Batum, Webster etc. will be fighting for the SF/SG positions off the bench. I think Outlaw starts the SF but the rest will be key bench players. Turkoglu would in no way have fit that.

Also he is a guy who needs the ball to be effective, we saw that in the NBA Finals. Portland need to consider that Roy is first option always and Aldridge is their second. Then you have Miller, Outlaw and Oden which Turkoglu would have to somehow fit as a 3rd-4th option. It just wouldn't work i say so it's good that Portland 'missed out'.