Atlanta #9 in most appealing cities to FA's

Cobb

Source: Sports Illustrated

The top five

1. Los Angeles (Lakers): Oh, to be young, rich and a Laker. You've got championship potential (and a ring coming if you already were there this spring), a dominant superstar, the wisest of head coaches. And Hollywood in awe and that marvelous playground beyond Staples Center.

2. Miami: What's not to like? There's no state income tax, South Beach, balmy weather all winter long, Dwyane Wade, first-class travel and facilities, the competitive backdrop of Pat Riley to keep ambitions on track. Oh, and did we mention South Beach?

3. Phoenix: Things might not be as appealing at the moment, given the unsightly, and some would argue, needless makeover this team underwent. But the Suns used to run a relative country club for players, then became the most fun spot to play in the NBA. Steve Nash still keeps it fun, if you can ignore the scoreboard many nights.

4. Houston: I was surprised several years ago when I learned how many players league-wide spend their offseasons living and working out in this steamy city. Now that the Rockets are loaded and with management that can explain in intricate detail why you're the perfect fit for their system, it's an even greater place to be in-season.

5. Orlando: The tax thing. Dwight Howard. Three-pointers galore. The Celtics are getting old, the Cavaliers might lose LeBron. 'Nuff said.

Almost always appealing

6. Dallas: Mark Cuban is a players' owner, and there's nothing he says or does that the guys on the Mavericks roster wouldn't say or do if they could get away with it (or afford the fines). All NBA players owe a debt to this franchise, too, for upping to ante on treatment and amenities, little perks that fall just short of salary-cap violations.

7. New York: Sure, the team stinks. Yes, the building doesn't crackle with energy the way it used to. OK, there are miles to go to seriously contend. But many players like coach Mike D'Antoni's style, and the pressure from media and fans means people are passionate about what you do. Then you step outside onto W. 34th Street and you've got that whole city to enjoy.

8. Chicago: The tradition of Michael Jordan resonates more with today's players than even the Celtics' and Lakers' fabled pasts. No one grew up wanting to wear a Grizzlies or Thunder jersey, but they sure did play in their driveway thinking "Bulls." The Berto Center practice facility draws raves, and it's remarkable how Chicago has continued to fill United Center, through ups and downs, 11 years post-Jordan.

9. Atlanta: Gotta be the shoes. NBA players historically turned road trips to Atlanta into shopping sprees for their feet at Friedman's. Now the weather, the nightlife, the Hawks' youth and their recent playoff runs make this city even more attractive.

10. San Antonio: There might not be a ton of entertainment options here, but getting a contract offer from the Spurs is like getting accepted into an Ivy League school. It is a validation of a player's character or at least his potential to put the team ahead of the individual, and it is hard for many of them to say no. Or rather, no thank you, sir.

Hopefully LeBron will come to Atlanta. <_<

I feel like all this is being based on his the temperature and climate of the city and hardly anything else.

Yeah, me too. Also, why is this Friedman's store so special? Maybe he's joking or something because I've never even heard of it.

Ya i read that article too. Toronto is a poor destination because of things like the taxes. Bball players lose much of their paychecks to income taxes in Canada. That and its cold. But I agree, many former raps loved it here.