Ben Gordon's Departure

Ben Gordon's Departure  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't think his departure was something bad cause Hinrich can still play the 2 off the bench and also the 1. Salmons could be their starter and also a 3rd string back up at the 3 so I think as long as they can get their rotation sorted they will be good to go.

His departure means nothing. The Bulls have Salmons, who's capable of putting up 20 points per game, 5 rebounds, and 2-3 assists. Not to mention they have Deng at the SF. And Kirk Hinrich at the back-up as a combo guard.

PG- Rose/Hinrich

SG- Salmons/Hinrich

SF- Deng

They're good scoring wise. If there's 1 thing they'll miss is him in the clutch.

They shouldn't get worse at all. Deng is coming off an injury and should be better than ever since signing the big contract extension (for sure he can't get any worse). And like Deng, Salmons can create his own offense. Hinrich will always be able to hit shots, and Brad Miller is not a stiff on offense. And the ultimate franchise, Rose is going to be much improved this year especially on offense and his decision making (we'll see a lot less tentativeness and passiveness). Much of their decision to go to Gordon late in games was because aside of being clutch, everyone else especially Rose often was passive... it should change now. And also take into account that everyone will be more used to playing with Rose, especially Tyrus.

Edited by Snake

His departure means nothing. The Bulls have Salmons, who's capable of putting up 20 points per game, 5 rebounds, and 2-3 assists. Not to mention they have Deng at the SF. And Kirk Hinrich at the back-up as a combo guard.

PG- Rose/Hinrich

SG- Salmons/Hinrich

SF- Deng

They're good scoring wise. If there's 1 thing they'll miss is him in the clutch.

At the 2 Salmons won't be putting up 20 ppg and neither will Hinrich. Deng won't be putting up 20 ppg either, so where does the scoring replacement for Gordon come from? You seriously cannot count on Deng, Salmons and Hinrich to do what Gordon did in his minute obviously as that is a 3:1 differential in mpg however my point is neither player will ever replace Gordon scoring wise and in that case their screwed unless Rose breaks out.

Salmons has never averaged 20 points per game, or 5 rebounds per game, and he barely averaged 2 assists with the Bulls last year. And this year he'll be playing shooting guard, even though he's a better small forward. The only thing he has on Gordon is six inches.

And it's not about replacing Gordon's scoring point for point. It's also how and when those points are scored. Gordon's a top 3 shooter in the league and one of the best 3pt shooters in the history of the NBA. Salmons is a career 36% 3pt shooter. Deng can't shoot 3s at all. And Hinrich is decent, but now we only have him.

Then there's the clutch factor. Deng's horrible when the game is on the line. Hinrich is bad. We'll have to see with Salmons. It's going to be ugly when the Bulls get in a scoring drought this year.

But Deng probably won't stay healthy for the whole season anyway.

• Owner

Gordon's a top 3 shooter in the league and one of the best 3pt shooters in the history of the NBA.

Wait, what?

There are 118 NBA players in the history of the game that have shot better from downtown in a season than Gordon's career-high (which is 43.5%).

Gordon is tenth all-time in career three-point percentage, but that doesn't say much because he doesn't attempt as many threes as, say, Reggie Miller. Miller is 41st on that list. He's a much better three-point shooter than Ben Gordon.

In fact, the most three-pointers Gordon has ever attempted in a season is 422. There are 124 other players who have topped that, including Ray Allen, who attempted 653 in 2005-06.

Ray Allen is 34th on that list of career three-point percentage...yet, he's twice the shooter Gordon is.

Wait, what?

There are 118 NBA players in the history of the game that have shot better from downtown in a season than Gordon's career-high (which is 43.5%).

Ok, percentage isn't everything. You have to take into account attempts and defensive pressure. Ben Gordon attempts a lot of three's and has done it as a first option every year he's been in the league.

Gordon is tenth all-time in career three-point percentage, but that doesn't say much because he doesn't attempt as many threes as, say, Reggie Miller. Miller is 41st on that list. He's a much better three-point shooter than Ben Gordon.

So he's tenth in all-time percentage and shoots them at a high frequency while receiving a lot of defensive attention. Sounds to me like one of the best 3pt shooters in the history of the game.

Ben Gordon is a better 3pt shooter than Reggie Miller. I don't care that Miller played a gazillion years in the NBA and thus attempted and made a lot of them. The two of them average the same amount of attempts per game for their career. Gordon converts his at a better percentage and that includes Miller playing with a shorter 3pt line for three years.

In fact, the most three-pointers Gordon has ever attempted in a season is 422. There are 124 other players who have topped that, including Ray Allen, who attempted 653 in 2005-06.

Ray Allen is 34th on that list of career three-point percentage...yet, he's twice the shooter Gordon is.

Twice the shooter he is not. But he is widely considered as one of the best of all time. So saying that he's better than Ben Gordon doesn't take away from the fact that Gordon is one hell of a shooter.

Anyways, nobody in the history of the NBA has made more 3pt field goals during their first five years in the NBA than Ben Gordon.

• Owner

...I covered three-point attempts.

He was 8th in attempts in 2008-09. That's among current players. And he shot 41% from three. Granger attempted more, and shot 40.4%. That doesn't mean he's a great three-point shooter, it means he's a good three-point shooter.

Haha, Mo Williams attempted just two threes less than Ben Gordon, but shot a high 43.6% from the field.

Hell, Troy Murphy attempted 358 threes and shot 45% from downtown, compared to Gordon's 422 attempts at 41%. Pretty solid comparison there, Murphy to Gordon, right?

Roger Mason attempted 394 of them and hit at a better percentage.

Let me know when Gordon attempts 653 in a season, and hits for 41% (like Ray Allen did) or 628 and hits for 43% (Dennis Scott) or even a small 536 for 43% (Reggie Miller), and I'll add Ben Gordon's name to the list of truly great three-point shooters.

...I covered three-point attempts.

He was 8th in attempts in 2008-09. That's among current players. And he shot 41% from three. Granger attempted more, and shot 40.4%. That doesn't mean he's a great three-point shooter, it means he's a good three-point shooter.

And if Granger continues to shoot like that than he will be regarded as a great 3pt shooter.

Haha, Mo Williams attempted just two threes less than Ben Gordon, but shot a high 43.6% from the field.

Hell, Troy Murphy attempted 358 threes and shot 45% from downtown, compared to Gordon's 422 attempts at 41%. Pretty solid comparison there, Murphy to Gordon, right?

Roger Mason attempted 394 of them and hit at a better percentage.

Those are anomalies, not complete bodies of work.

Let me know when Gordon attempts 653 in a season, and hits for 41% (like Ray Allen did) or 628 and hits for 43% (Dennis Scott) or even a small 536 for 43% (Reggie Miller), and I'll add Ben Gordon's name to the list of truly great three-point shooters.

Allen and Miller didn't put up those kind of attempts until they were ten year veterans in the league. Gordon hasn't even hit his prime yet.

Miller's high for attempts in his first five years: 362

Allen: 467

Gordon: 422

Who's to say Gordon won't follow the same patter as his career progresses? So when he's on the downside of his career than you can look at what he did in his 10th or 12th season like Miller and Allen.

Dennis Scott, another exception which happened during the time of the shorter three point line just like Miller's best season above.

Gordon has shot over 40% ever since the first day he stepped on an NBA court. You can't even say that about Miller and Allen, yet alone those other blokes you listed.

• Owner

So I have to assume you're British, and that's also why you're defending Gordon to the death.

I'm also assuming you're going to classify Gordon as a superstar? Just curious.

If you're wanting to talk about complete bodies of work, then don't bother talking about Ben Gordon until he's retired.

Using your argument, Ben Gordon is a better three-point shooter than Reggie Miller, Ray Allen, Larry Bird and Craig Hodges, as long as we're taking their first five seasons...but haha, that's definitely not true, and will prove to be false once Gordon approaches his prime a bit more, working on other aspects as he draws away from spot-up threes he was landing with Rose, Hinrich and Deng passing him the ball.

This will show even more once he attempts 500+ in a season, also.

I've stated a few times that Ben Gordon is one of my favorite players, but there's no chance I'm going to label him "great" at anything. There's no reason to associate greatness to a five-year player, not even LeBron James.