Playing defense

Illuminati

If you're suppose to contest a right hand shooters shot with your left hand. Say for example, you're shading a playing to their right, wouldn't it make more sense to contest the shot with your right hand? Whereas when you're shading someone to the left, you're in position t o contest their shot with your left hand.

Does that make sense? It's situational no?

If I'm shading someone (right or left handed) to their right, I'll use my left hand, and vice-versa like you said. If it's just a pull up or something straight forward, it's best to go with the opposite hand (righty shooter, lefty block). For me I have a shoulder problem in my right arm (probably rotator cuff) that doesn't let me bend as much, so I can get higher with my left hand on a two-footed jump. If I try to go up high for a layup or something I just go righty, but for me blocks are usually left handed.

Rather than block though, I usually face guard with the blocking hand. Doesn't help your stats, but it's rare that someone will make one at any level below college.