So defense wins championships?

Real Deal

• Owner

If it does, can we safely assume that it will AT LEAST get the Charlotte Bobcats into the playoffs in 2010?

Tyson Chandler

Gerald Wallace

Raja Bell

DeSagana Diop

Gerald Henderson

Larry Brown

This might be a great time for the Cats to find an offensive-minded player, to at least give them another 15-20 a game, because no matter how much defense you play, you can't win if you can't score.

The top ten teams in opponents' points per game all made the playoffs except one team: the Bobcats. With a defensive-minded coach and several defensive-minded players, they have built a tough, scrappy team that would be a challenge for any team in the playoffs. However, they were also last in the league in points per game, meaning they need to somehow acquire a first option if they want to reach the playoffs. You would think they would be all over Allen Iverson, because they could sign him for the MLE and would get 20-25 PPG out of him.

An interesting stat I found: The top six teams in opponents' field goal percentage (I thought FG% would be a good stat to use because it's not affected by pace like points per game is) all made it to the second round, and Orlando (3) and L.A. (6) both played in the Finals. Defense is very important, but you also need some scoring threats if you want to go far.

I don't think the Bobcats are a lock by any means for the playoffs unless they sign Allen Iverson.

• Like 1

• Owner

Defense does win championships.

Did you guys know the Bobcats were the only team to sweep the Lakers? They've owned them the past few years actually and the Lakers are very fortunate they didn't meet the Bobcats in the Finals.

Nope. The Magic did. The Magic beat the Lakers in both regular season meetings last year.

The Lakers were very fortunate they didn't meet the Magic in the Finals.

Nope. The Magic did. The Magic beat the Lakers in both regular season meetings last year.

The Lakers were very fortunate they didn't meet the Magic in the Finals.

When was the last time the Lakers won the regular season series against the Bobcats? Oh that's right! Never! Despite the Bobcats never making the playoffs in the history of their franchise, and LA being a perennial playoff team they have never been able to win the season series against the Bobcats. They are 2-6 against them.

On the contrary LA is 6-3 against Orlando in that same time span.

Bobcats > Lakers

• Like 1

• Owner

When was the last time the Lakers won the regular season series against the Bobcats? Oh that's right! Never! Despite the Bobcats never making the playoffs in the history of their franchise, and LA being a perennial playoff team they have never been able to win the season series against the Bobcats. They are 2-6 against them.

On the contrary LA is 6-3 against Orlando in that same time span.

Bobcats > Lakers

Hmm...

They have been more consistant throughout the decade and I'm not sure on this, but I'd be willing to bet they have the highest winning % of the decade too. They have won 50 games every year of the decade and were contenders every year. The Lakers had a 3 year window of being irrelevant. I could care a less if the Lakers got 3 titles in a row. The end result is they have 4 titles in the decade and the Spurs have 4 as well. The teams have an equal amount of MVP Winners as well with Duncan racking up two and Shaq/Kobe each getting one. However the string of 50 win seasons combined with the titles wins it for me. Bufords and Popovich's ability to consistantly add talent around Duncan while never visiting the lottery does it for me.

So this must have been all BS, huh? Or is your post in here BS? :)

Just to have some more fun with you, Boston is 5-9 in their last 14 games against the Washington Wizards. In fact...they were 1-3 against them in 2008, when the Celtics ended up winning the championship.

So, using your impeccable knowledge and logic, the Wizards just have to be better than the Celtics...or, as you put it...

Wizards > Celtics.

You can either try and keep up with me, or fall behind. You'll never, ever pull ahead.

Hmm...

Just to have some more fun with you, Boston is 5-9 in their last 14 games against the Washington Wizards. In fact...they were 1-3 against them in 2008, when the Celtics ended up winning the championship.

So, using your impeccable knowledge and logic, the Wizards just have to be better than the Celtics...or, as you put it...

Wizards > Celtics.

You can either try and keep up with me, or fall behind. You'll never, ever pull ahead.

Some teams have terrible mismatches against others. For the Lakers it is Atlanta and the Bobcats, they always catch them of guard.

Knowing that you have watched so much basketball, I would have expected you to know that by now.

• Owner

Some teams have terrible mismatches against others. For the Lakers it is Atlanta and the Bobcats, they always catch them of guard.

Knowing that you have watched so much basketball, I would have expected you to know that by now.

What the [expletive] do you think I've been saying this entire time? Re-read my posts, instead of following me around.

I stated that the Magic beat the Lakers both times in the 2009 regular season. The Lakers beat their ass in the Finals.

I stated that the Wizards beat the Celtics three of four in the 2008 regular season. Boston would've wiped the court with them in the playoffs.

If Charlotte somehow, someway, found a way to make the playoffs, they'd get destroyed.

The next time you try and talk basketball with me, you need to better prepare yourself and know who you're quoting and why you're doing it. I would've expected you to know that by now.

What the [expletive] do you think I've been saying this entire time? Re-read my posts, instead of following me around.

I stated that the Magic beat the Lakers both times in the 2009 regular season. The Lakers beat their [expletive] in the Finals.

I stated that the Wizards beat the Celtics three of four in the 2008 regular season. Boston would've wiped the court with them in the playoffs.

If Charlotte somehow, someway, found a way to make the playoffs, they'd get destroyed.

The next time you try and talk basketball with me, you need to better prepare yourself and know who you're quoting and why you're doing it. I would've expected you to know that by now.

Man this guy keeps personally attacking me and Cursing.

Why dont the mods do anything?

Hmm...

Wizards > Celtics.

What was the point of bringing up my post from the "best team of the decade thread". Since the Bobcats have been in the league the Lakers have been in the playoffs every year making them a perennial playoff team.

And lol @ last 14 games. Your stretching dude. I'm not looking up, but I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that the 15th game against them resulted in a Boston win. Stop trying too hard to come up with irrelevant statistics.

It is a known fact that the Lakers struggle against the Bobcats. You deny this?

• Owner

I'm just using your logic, Matt. We struggled against Orlando, also, and we still beat them in the Finals, 4-1.

I believe any knowledgeable NBA fan will tell you that the playoffs are different from the regular season. That's why you see the Suns, Mavs and Kings all struggling to get that ring.

So you truly think the Bobcats can beat the Lakers in the NBA Finals, huh? Really?

I'm just using your logic, Matt. We struggled against Orlando, also, and we still beat them in the Finals, 4-1.

I believe any knowledgeable NBA fan will tell you that the playoffs are different from the regular season. That's why you see the Suns, Mavs and Kings all struggling to get that ring.

So you truly think the Bobcats can beat the Lakers in the NBA Finals, huh? Really?

Obviously the NBA Finals part was a joke, but it is a known fact that the Lakers struggle against the Bobcats. You cannot deny it. And unlike the Magic the Bobcats have had the Lakers number nearly every year. The Lakers have never won a season series against them in the history of the Bobcats franchise. It is an example of that Bobcats team being a team that plays hard and doesn't give up even when being outclassed in talent.

Edited by Diesel

• Owner
The Lakers have never won a season series against them in the history of the Bobcats franchise.

See, you need to stop reading other things, and listening to other people that don't know jack about the NBA.

1/30/05: LAL 101, CHA 90

3/12/05: LAL 117, CHA 116

Lakers swept them in 2005, the same half of the season the Lakers went 10-29 under Hamblen.

And unlike the Magic the Bobcats have had the Lakers number nearly every year.

6-4 against the Lakers since 2005. I don't see it as them having the Lakers' number, really.

See, you need to stop reading other things, and listening to other people that don't know jack about the NBA.

1/30/05: LAL 101, CHA 90

3/12/05: LAL 117, CHA 116

Lakers swept them in 2005, the same half of the season the Lakers went 10-29 under Hamblen.

6-4 against the Lakers since 2005. I don't see it as them having the Lakers' number, really.

Oh drat you got me. lol only looked up to 05-06 since that's when LA made their first playoff appearence post Shaq. I forgot about that other year. It was the Bobcats first year and the Lakers only won by 1 against a starting lineup that featured Primo Preznec, Jason Hart, Theron Smith, Keith Bogans and Okafor. With a team that had Kobe playing, Odom playing, and Butler playing it isn't really that great to brag about a one point victory over a first year expansion team.

But the Lakers 2-6 record against a Bobcats team since their playoff season in 05-06 is indeed a fact.

• Owner

Oh drat you got me. lol only looked up to 05-06 since that's when LA made their first playoff appearence post Shaq. I forgot about that other year. It was the Bobcats first year and the Lakers only won by 1 against a starting lineup that featured Primo Preznec, Jason Hart, Theron Smith, Keith Bogans and Okafor. With a team that had Kobe playing, Odom playing, and Butler playing it isn't really that great to brag about a one point victory over a first year expansion team.

But the Lakers 2-6 record against a Bobcats team since their playoff season in 05-06 is indeed a fact.

And I don't see the point of even bringing it up in the topic in the first place, especially when you include the Finals comment (which backfired).

The Pacers seem to have the Lakers' number over the last couple of seasons (or so people say). That doesn't mean anything to me, either, except that the Lakers, overall, develop a sense of complacency that ruins it for them in the final six minutes of every game, it seems...and it always happened with the non-playoff teams.

I was one of many who actually said it was going to destroy us in the 2009 Playoffs, and to be honest, it nearly did when Yao went out, and we figured it was a cakewalk.

But Kobe, Phil and Fisher must have slapped Odom, Gasol and the other non-champions in the head, because they overcame it just in time for Game 7, and we ended up finishing 8-3 to win it all.

Charlotte's victories over us mean nothing. They still need a ton of work offensively, and they still have yet to reach the playoffs, and more than likely, they will get crushed by an East powerhouse if they do, because the playoffs are do-or-die, and it's when the experienced step up and put inexperienced, weaker teams to sleep.

I really need to work on my reading comprehension. My crippled mind read this as an evaluation of the Bobcats as a defensive-minded team. Apparently, it's more productive to compare this 35-47 team to the current NBA champion Lakers.

The Bobcats aren't as good as the Lakers. They still play exceptional defense. Kudos to both parties for bringing to light a few of the more obvious things in basketball.

You mad it takes you 5 minutes to send a simple text message while it only takes me 20 seconds?

wtf?

Sometimes I don't know why idiots like you aren't banned. You basically do what Mike Hawk was doing, but you've been doing it for longer. It's not only Laker fans that you constantly bash, but also anyone that doesn't suck a person on a Philly team's dick like you always do.

• Like 1

And I don't see the point of even bringing it up in the topic in the first place, especially when you include the Finals comment (which backfired).

The Pacers seem to have the Lakers' number over the last couple of seasons (or so people say). That doesn't mean anything to me, either, except that the Lakers, overall, develop a sense of complacency that ruins it for them in the final six minutes of every game, it seems...and it always happened with the non-playoff teams.

I was one of many who actually said it was going to destroy us in the 2009 Playoffs, and to be honest, it nearly did when Yao went out, and we figured it was a cakewalk.

But Kobe, Phil and Fisher must have slapped Odom, Gasol and the other non-champions in the head, because they overcame it just in time for Game 7, and we ended up finishing 8-3 to win it all.

Charlotte's victories over us mean nothing. They still need a ton of work offensively, and they still have yet to reach the playoffs, and more than likely, they will get crushed by an East powerhouse if they do, because the playoffs are do-or-die, and it's when the experienced step up and put inexperienced, weaker teams to sleep.

The Lakers comment was to imply that the team plays hard and doesn't give up despite being outclassed by talent. I'm not sure how many times that has to be repeated. No need to get all defensive any time someone says something about the Lakers that doesn't praise them.

wtf?

Sometimes I don't know why idiots like you aren't banned. You basically do what Mike Hawk was doing, but you've been doing it for longer. It's not only Laker fans that you constantly bash, but also anyone that doesn't suck a person on a Philly team's dick like you always do.

"Please stay out of the topic if you aren't ever going to contribute anything to the forums. "

Also show me where the the "Philly dicksucking" took place. PM this because you arn't contributing to this thread.

Edited by Diesel