Durant and the MVP

Kevin Durant an MVP?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Durant made amazing strides his sophomore season and greatly improved his shooting percentages. He's now one of the league's best perimeter scorers, but not quite up there with Kobe, LeBron, and Wade. I think those three are locks for the top three, and Howard will likely get a high spot as well. There's room for Durant, and if the Thunder elevate their game similar to the way Portland did last season, then he could enter the national stage and get some serious consideration. His rank will be determined by how successful his team is.

Anyone think his numbers will go down with the addition of Harden, along with the player developments of Jeff Green and Russell Westbrook?

Edited by The Big Three

I think there's a very good chance he is in top 5.

First, I think his stats will even improve, even with the addition of Harden and improvement of Westbrook and Green. He has established himself as one of the best perimeter scorers, and he will be their go-to guy on most of their possessions. He scores effortlessly, even as Westbrook will inevitably command more shots, there will be even more shots as they are generally unselfish players, and there will be plenty of ball to share among them. His stats are going to be off-the-charts good, they're going to be hard to ignore, regardless of his team record.

Second, I think the Thunder will be near playoffs - 8th seed playoffs good. If they can secure a playoffs seed, and Durant averages, say, 29.4 ppg, 7.1 rpg, 4.8 apg, on 49 FG%, 43 3P%, he will be in the MVP discussion.

negative.

kobe

wade

lebron

dwight

paul

are all guaranteed in my top 5(no order)

unless this team wins 40+ games then he has a chance of getting into the top 5

Anyone think his numbers will go down with the addition of Harden, along with the player developments of Jeff Green and Russell Westbrook?

maybe in the points but i can see that going up or down. assists will def go up because of the development of the team and his own progression

• 1 month later...

I am a big Durant fan and I think he has a chance to be a complete superstar in this league like we have never really seen, and he just continues to get better. He is going to score more this year and is doing it at great percentages. If you don't read dailythunder.com I recommend it. Here he talks about KD this year: http://www.dailythunder.com/2009/09/setting-the-bar-kevin-durant/#more-4660

I look forward to watching this team as they have climbed to my second favorite team to watch behind my Celtics. Love all the guys they got and I will root for them.

I think Durant can be top 5 in votes if the Thunder can find a way to at least be in the playoff discussion for a good part of the season. They don't have to make it, just be in the discussion and not too far away for a good part of the year.

If the MVP truly went to the most valuable player, he would be up there. Since the team play plays a large factor as well, he won't be near the top as he really should be.

Team record has to play just a bit of a factor in who gets the MVP award. IF a guy that is getting good to great stats, but is on one of the four or five worst teams in the league, then he's just a stat stuffer. If a team finishes with 23 wins on the season, it doesn't make a very good case for why that player should get MVP. Just the same this year, if Oklahoma City proves to be a bottom dwellar again like that, then it's hard to say he should be in the top five over guys that are pushing their teams to being among the best in the league.

As for the bulking up, I really don't think he needs to bulk up that much. Right now he is around 6'9/6'10 and up to about 230 pounds. By comparison a guy like Rashard Lewis has played at that almost exact same size and height pretty much his entire career. Durant has a similar game with his ability to shoot, the big difference is that he is much more explosive than Lewis has ever been with a better ability to create off the dribble. He will be just fine at the weight he is now, because who knows how bulking up might effect his movement and conditioning on the court.

Edited by Texan