Raymond Felton Taking a 1-year Deal

headliner

Raymond and the ‘Cats couldn’t agree on a long-term deal, so he will reportedly hit the open market next summer: “After discussing a long-term deal last week, talks between Felton and Charlotte have broken down, and multiple sources now say that rather than continuing negotiations, Felton will simply sign the one-year, $5.5 million qualifying offer put forth by the Bobcats. That will allow Felton to become an unrestricted free agent next summer, putting another name into the already deep pool of 2010 free-agent players.”

SLAM

Doesn't really surprise me. Once they drafted D.J. Augustin last season I had a feeling that Felton would be on his way out of Charlotte sooner rather than later. If it was me I would've tried to explore any and every potential sign and trade deal for Felton in order to get talent in exchange for him. If this is true and he is not dealt sometime during the season, the Bobcats are going to lose him for absolutely nothing, which really sucks.

I do think that Augustin is going to be a good point guard in the NBA and a capable starter so it doesn't hurt them in regards to their point guard position heading forward.

• Owner

If they let Felton walk, and both Chandler and Vlad pick up their options (which will happen because neither will get that kind of money from anyone else), the Bobcats will be at around $54 million on their payroll. The cap probably won't budge from the 09-10 season, may even decrease just a bit, so Charlotte won't have any big money to offer any FA's for 2010.

So, yeah...trade Felton before the deadline. It would be in the best interest of the team, because they won't be making a play for anyone in free agency, unless Michael Jordan decides to convince someone like Ray Allen to take $5 million.