Will Ricky Rubio Join the Wolves?

I have to admit, it was fascinating to watch Ricky Rubio shift uncomfortably in his chair as team after team passed on him early in the NBA draft last night, as the most talked about player in the building clapped and pretended to be happy for the four other dudes who went ahead of him.
“Are you excited to go to Minnesota?” he was asked…”I’m excited,” he responded, “to come to the NBA.” He said his mother hated cold weather. He was asked about whether being picked by the T-Wolves might inspire him to stay in Europe. He said: “I don’t know yet. I have to think about that … I’m going to talk to my agent about that and we’re going to see.”

He also said he was very surprised that the team had drafted another point guard in Jonny Flynn. He evaded a question about whether or not he’d even come to the NBA — until the very end of the meeting with reporters when he threw in a line saying “I want to play basketball, and if they give me minutes, I’m going to come.”

man i hate this little punk. i hated him before and i hate him even more now.

i hope KG taunts his little white euro [expletive]

Edited by MoeRoadKill

Judging by the expression when the Wolves called his name, it's not like someone who does not want to be there... but maybe Rubio thinks he'll just play out his contract so there's no buyout burden or it becomes less.

If he plays for the Knicks, there's a chance he will buyout because Knicks are obviously a bigger market and presents more marketing opportunities for him to lessen the buyout load.

People are overreacting to the "I want to be here, I want to play in the NBA" nonsense. English is his secondary language which isn't high right now.. His dad doesn't speak on behalf of what he (Rubio) will do. Rubio just needs to give it a few years and see if he likes Minnesota. The people and cities are extremely nice. Hell, I should teach him fishing.

By the way, money isn't an issue. He said he'd play for free.

Edited by Lone Wolf

The Wolves made the wrong move here, you have a guy who is projected to be a impactful point guard, why do you draft another point guard right after you draft him? It's obviously discouraged him, he wants to play in the NBA and that is what counts, i wouldn't go too far as the dude that posted this did, your a moron for abusing a guy that wants to be sure about his future ..

However i think that the Timberwolves should trade him to NY or trade Flynn, it wasn't necessary to draft two point guards when both are going to be great and everyone around the league knows that, things like this can really ruin a players potential.

The Wolves made the wrong move here, you have a guy who is projected to be a impactful point guard, why do you draft another point guard right after you draft him?

I'll post the same thing I posted in one of the other Rubio topics on here. The reasoning is definitely there.

"It was a very smart business pick for exactly this situation with Rubio. Kahn knew he was going to have a difficult time from the get-go trying to persuade Rubio to play in Minnesota, and he knew it'd be almost an impossible challenge without a back-up point guard plan in place as it would give Rubio's party a ton of leverage. If Minnesota had not drafted Flynn after dealing Foye, Rubio's agent could say "Deal Rubio for another PG or we are headed back to Spain and you're all alone with Sebastian Telfair at the point on your depth chart". Since Minnesota picked Flynn, the team has the leverage in that they could say "That's fine, you can return to Europe and play two or three seasons over there to mature your game, and we'll just rely on Flynn to run the show for the time being". That's a big difference in negotiating power."

People are overreacting to the "I want to be here, I want to play in the NBA" nonsense. English is his secondary language which isn't high right now.. His dad doesn't speak on behalf of what he (Rubio) will do. Rubio just needs to give it a few years and see if he likes Minnesota. The people and cities are extremely nice. Hell, I should teach him fishing.

By the way, money isn't an issue. He said he'd play for free.

How do you feel about the whole Rubio thing? Hopeful? Annoyed? Sick? Excited? :(

I'd buy Rubio Wolves uniform... or maybe not lol (at least until they change)

I'll tell you this much. If he is another one of those Euro dicks about being drafted by a low market team and goes back to Europe, he should be banned for life by the NBA. Sounds harsh, but the TWolves would have lost out on a great pick. He would be screwing over fans and an organization, and filth like that doesn't deserve to be in the NBA. I hope KG puts him in his place if he ends up staying.

Edited by Lkr

I'll tell you this much. If he is another one of those Euro dicks about being drafted by a low market team and goes back to Europe, he should be banned for life by the NBA. Sounds harsh, but the TWolves would have lost out on a great pick. He would be screwing over fans and an organization, and filth like that doesn't deserve to be in the NBA. I hope KG puts him in his place if he ends up staying.

thank you!

I'd buy Rubio Wolves uniform... or maybe not lol (at least until they change)

haha. I'm going to buy some Rubio gear is he stays in Minnesota, definitely. I'm going to have to hold up for a good while though to make sure he doesn't go elsewhere. <_< I'm ready, got my money saved up.

I would love for him to play in Minnesota. I would travel two hours to go see him play, no doubt about it. I'm just not entirely sure he will like it in Minneapolis... Let's face it; Of all the franchises Minnesota is probably one of the least desirable, because it's a small market. So I imagine he will play in Minnesota, I just don't know for how long

Edited by Jet

I'm with you on that. I think this was a brilliant move the the Wolves though. Johnny Flynn is going to be a baller and may even be better than Rubio who knows. If I were them I wouldn't even look for anything from the Knicks because quite frankly the Knicks are so bad they don't have anything I'd want. Look for the best trade you can get because if not he's just going to go back Europe.