Expectations For Hedo Turkoglu?

I expect Hedo to help this team win a lot more games than last season and help this team make a run in the playoffs with his ability to shoot and create for him and others. I also expect him to be a leader on this team and I know it just going to be his first season but with his experience his leadership will to crucial to this team. I think he will be able to complement Bosh on the court and help Bosh be more effective on the offensive end.

This thread was posted on another forum and I ended up getting into a little bit of a debate with another poster (me taking on the role of pro Turkgolu for once lol). Here is what I wrote in that thread.

I expect around 15 ppg/5-6 apg/4-5 rpg on 40-43 FG% and 35-37 3PT%. He has the potential to have a bigger impact on the game than his numbers though and here is how I mean it:

As for what he brings to the table, he brings a creative playmaker on the wing to relieve some of the pressure from Calderon. Having a playmaker like Turkoglu on the wing will enable the Raptors to do more offensively as they won't be delegated to running the same things over and over again like they were last season (Jose screen and roll, Jose iso, Bosh post up and Bosh iso was basically the brunt of our offensive sets last year). They will be able to make better use of Jose's shooting ability this year and can stick him in the corner or on the elbow for some spot up jumpers off of Turkoglu's playmaking or Bosh and Bargnani's inside work.

He also creates plenty of mismatches on the floor because of his combination of size, skill and shooting ability. One of the biggest reasons why he was so successfull in Orlando is because of the mismatches that he creates offensively and that is not going to change because of Dwight Howard not being in the paint. Having three players that are 6'10 or taller that have ball skills and shooting skills like the Raptors will have with Turkoglu, Bosh and Bargnani are going to create plenty of mismatch situations.

He brings legitimate playoff experience to the team which is something that they are desperately lacking as aside from Rasho, nobody on the team has any sort of serious playoff experience (correct me if I am wrong though).

Lastly, he gives the Raptors a legitimate late clock performer. I am sure that you had gotten fed up with the Raptors constantly running the same play over and over in late clock situations (iso Bosh on the elbow). With Turkoglu they have a player that is capable of hitting clutch shots and more importantly, creating shots in clutch situations. As much as an offensively gifted player that Bosh is, it is simply unrealistic to expect him to get the ball 20 feet away from the hoop and create shots in pressure situations. With Turkoglu on the floor Bosh won't be relied upon so heavily to create during late clock situations.

Yeah Turkoglu has some flaws to his game like his defense and that won't be pretty watching him try and defend stud players and he is making more money than he is worth, but it was a necessary signing because his positives outweight the negatives. I admit that there is a realistic chance that he might bust in Toronto but regardless, it was a chance they had to take because if they didn't get a legitimate player on the roster and up the talent on the team this year, Chris Bosh would be guarnteed to leave in 2010 and the Raptors would be back to square one. With Turkoglu on the team they at least have a legit shot at making the playoffs, possibly making it to the 2nd round if they get a favourable matchup, and perhaps most importantly of all, they have a much greater chance of resigning Bosh

I think Turk's ceiling this year is 22 ppg and 7 apg, his lowest I'd say would be 15 ppg and 5 apg. I think he's going to compliment the Raptors' offensive oriented team nicely. With so many shooters on the floor, it's going to open up driving lanes to the basket, and that's Turk's bread and butter right there.

Turk's size and all-around offensive game will benefit for the Raptors, his passing ability will give his teammates more easy opportunities to score, and his clutch play will be the edge to winning a lot of games that could have gone either way. His impact will help bring them into the playoffs, and maybe even past the first round if they can get a good match up.

With the money the raptors gave him and all the high expectations. I think he is going to disapoint. Not to be a downer but alot of raptors have high hopes, and I think its going to take him for Turk to adjust to his new situation. In Orlando, the situation was perfect for him. Howard sets, everyone else camps. In Toronto he will be asked to alot more.

With the money the raptors gave him and all the high expectations. I think he is going to disapoint. Not to be a downer but alot of raptors have high hopes, and I think its going to take him for Turk to adjust to his new situation. In Orlando, the situation was perfect for him. Howard sets, everyone else camps. In Toronto he will be asked to alot more.

I understand where you’re coming from and as a fan I don’t expect Hedo to put up big numbers. Hedo in most games isn’t really for the first 3 quarters of games but he is a legit scorer in the 4th quarters which we never had for the past few season.

It’s expected that it will take time for him to get familiar with this team but at the same time it’s an entirely new team with 3 players from last year season opener.