Nets 05-06 and 06-07 Seasons

Teletopez

Prior to the Nets 05-06 season, the Nets appeared to have traded for Shareef Abdur-Rahim. However, he ended up failing his physical and the trade was not executed. Discuss how the Nets would have done with a lineup of Kidd, Carter, RJ, Abdur-Rahim, and Krstic. They finished 49-33 that year with Collins at PF instead of Abdur-Rahim. The Nets lost in the second round of the playoffs to the Heat in five games. They were third seed behind Miami and Detroit that regular season.

During the 06-07 season, RJ played only 55 games and Bostjan Nachbar was the Nets SF in the games he missed. The Nets finished 41-41 that year and were knocked out of the playoffs in the second round by Cleveland in six games, though RJ returned for the playoffs. The Nets were sixth seed that year. Discuss the difference if RJ was healthy for most of the year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Owner

Just keep in mind that Shareef wasn't the same after that knee injury. That's why he wasn't traded to New Jersey, as you noted...and his play took a hit from it that season with the Kings, and after that, he was done.

I can't say the Nets would've fared better with him in the five, or even off the bench. If you planned on starting SAR at power forward following his failed physical, I'm not too confident in his post play with the knee problem.

As far as the 2006-07 season...wasn't Cleveland the second seed? If I remember right, Detroit had home court over them, and I can't think of another team that was "better" in the regular season. They beat Washington, who was the seventh...so that makes the Nets sixth.

In that case, by the numbers, the Nets were 30-23 with Jefferson, Kidd and Carter in the five. That's on pace to win 46-47 games, and that would've possibly helped them win that division (Toronto had 47 wins).

New Jersey would play the sixth seed, who I'd predict would be the Heat, more than likely, and we saw what happened to them against the Bulls (sweep).

But then the problem arises when they play Cleveland in the second round...which is the same exact thing that happened...so I can't say that anything different would've happened that season.

Well the series loss to Cleveland certainly wasn't a blowout matchup. It was a six-game battle, and two close games went the Cavaliers' way. I can recall some bad decisions by Carter, including a game-changing turnover that handed the game to Cleveland. My guess is that if RJ hadn't missed so much time, Carter wouldn't have assumed such a big role, and maybe the Nets would have been more of a threat.