Andrew Bynum is Dropping Kareem

Legacy

Andrew Bynum no longer needs Kareem Abdul-Jabbar’s tutelage. Well, he thinks he doesn’t, anyway.

The young fella — who has been billed as the key to the Lakers’ future since the day he arrived in SoCal — thinks he’s gotten all that he can from the greatest scorer in NBA history. In fact, the two didn’t even speak this past summer.

As one might expect, Kareem isn’t exactly thrilled with the new relationship (or lack thereof.)

Source

• Owner

I'm not going to back him up for this decision, because he needs to work with Kareem as much as he can (as Kobe just decided to work with Hakeem Olajuwon as a veteran player).

However, the consistency in health and in stats, that's a different story. I understand he's been hurt, but when healthy, Bynum has been pretty consistent. That goes back pretty far, though, because since his second injury, he hasn't been healthy at all, including his playoff run.

I can't call him injury prone, either, because both injuries happened due to another player's mistake. In medical terms, combined with basketball, being prone to injury means you're injured very easily and frequently. Bynum's knee injuries came from two teammates, really weren't his fault, and would've injured many big men in that same situation.

There's no doubt in my mind that Bynum can produce 14/8 for a full season. He has the potential to do better, in fact, on a team that gives him more shots...but it would also be tougher to convert those shots and win games.

I think Bynum can still learn a lot in terms of being consistent with stats or health. Kareem probably has a handful of tricks to teach him. Because a lot of times when Bynum isn't having a good night offensively, the rest of his game seems to lag behind also. He needs to learn that even though his offense isn't clicking, he can impact the game other ways in terms of rebounding, shot blocking, or simply setting screens for teammates. I agree that his two injuries were unfortunate but I think with Kareem mentoring him, at least there is someone to push him in terms of workout, staying fit, eating right and eventually being able to recover quicker. I think Bynum will regret this decision.

Edited by aLmighty

It's not just Bynum backing away from Kareem but the organization. If there was a natural to replace Rambis it would have been Cap. But KAJ didn't help his cause any by choosing twitter over coaching during the playoffs. Kareem will still be available to Bynum, but it won't be day to day.

This isn't just the case of an impulsive 21-year old saying I don't need one of the greatest centers of all time. It's the Lakers backing away too.