Westphal must adjust to young roster

Westphal must adjust to young roster

"Paul Westphal has handled the veteran rosters.

Barkley. KJ. Ainge. GP. Thunder Dan.

In Phoenix and Seattle, the first-year Kings coach led players so well known it didn't even take a full name to remember their game. But these Kings are different, long on youth and short on experience. And as the first exhibition game approaches Tuesday in Portland, Westphal said he'll have to adjust how he handles exhibition play now as compared to then.

"Every team is a little bit different, but certainly we have a lot of playing time and rotation decisions that we have to make," he said. "So this preseason isn't, 'Well, let's rest our veterans for the first three or four games, and then we'll play them a couple games and ease into the last two before (the regular season).'

"It can't be like that. We have to learn about this team. And at the same time, we have to keep in perspective that our first preseason game is one week after our first practice."

While some coaches pre-determine playing time and script their rotations during the exhibition season, Westphal said he will adjust on the fly.

"I was that way once, and then after about the first six minutes of the game, I threw it out because it wasn't working," he said. "And what I learned is I can't map out a game in advance. I have to react to what's going on."

---

http://www.sacbee.com/kings/story/2230799.html