Ron already disrupting Lakers

breakout season is a bit much. they have no lethal #1 option who has already established themselves. aaron brooks is their #1 option? he still isnt even that good. pretty good shooter, sure, but no defense, very small, and young. ariza is good, yes. but he is a role player and always will be. he is not that great at creating his own shot. maybe in a year he can create his own shot. and scola already has a good post game. but you're forgetting a huge thing, these 3 players you are saying will have a breakout season. what if you're wrong? then who will be the big scoring option? no one.

I know I'm not wrong, because I've already seen what Brooks and Scola can do, and I'm taking Rick's word (a guy who has had the experience with players like T-Mac, Yao, Artest, Webber, Bibby, Peja, Divac) that Ariza can handle a larger role. Plus, you're forgetting T-Mac is healthy. Anyone who has averaged 30 ppg in the past is no lazy bum, despite his recent criticism. He'll bounce back. I'm sure he has been working hard behind the scenes.

what i mean by leader is they have no star. they have no big package in 1 player. they have a vocal leader in battier but what does he do on the court? 3's and defense. they have an offensive leader (or at least you are predicting) in ariza and/or brooks. what about emotional leadership? nope, just on court leading. either way: brooks and ariza are YOUNG. they still have a lot to learn before they can be leaders.

Billups wasn't a star when he lead the Pistons to the championship. Hell, everyone was saying the same thing you are about the Rockets, "they have no real star". Rip and Tayshaun were hardly known at the time. 'Sheed was known to be a problem and a head case, and Big Ben was just a defensive player.

When you're talking about a real star, are you talking about a 30 ppg caliber scorer (like T-Mac..). Let's say Tracy won't be like the way he used to, what about the '02 Kings, who many think deserved a championship. They didn't have a 30ppg scorer, yet they had a team that was in sync, making each other into better players, coached by none other than Rick Adelman.

I don't know about this emotional leader. Are you talking motivation? That can come from example players like Yao, and that can also come from the coach as well. Pat Riley for the Heat was known to make mesmerizing speeches in the locker room. I would call that an emotional leader. I don't know too much about Rick Adelman, but I'm sure he knows how to get his players fired up, hence their homecourt fluke blow outs on the Lakers.

Also, you are underrating Shane Battier. First of all, he is easily one of the best perimeter defenders in the NBA. He's the guy they stick on the opposing best player, and he always finds a way to make them appear much worse when playing the Rockets. He's also a great help defender, a hustle player, a player who is always in the right position, and much more. He's also a vocal leader. Both in the locker room and on the court. He's a guy who is always talking on defense, telling people where to be and what's going on behind them. All this while holding down the best players in the world.

Look, I'm not trying to talk about the Rockets as if they are going places this year. Just a borderline playoff team in the West. I think I've made my case. I'm predicting 7th seed.

I know I'm not wrong, because I've already seen what Brooks and Scola can do, and I'm taking Rick's word (a guy who has had the experience with players like T-Mac, Yao, Artest, Webber, Bibby, Peja, Divac) that Ariza can handle a larger role. Plus, you're forgetting T-Mac is healthy. Anyone who has averaged 30 ppg in the past is no lazy bum, despite his recent criticism. He'll bounce back. I'm sure he has been working hard behind the scenes.

Ok, so now T-mac is back. that makes it even worse. if i'm correct, the rockets had a worse record with him last year then they did without him.

Billups wasn't a star when he lead the Pistons to the championship. Hell, everyone was saying the same thing you are about the Rockets, "they have no real star". Rip and Tayshaun were hardly known at the time. 'Sheed was known to be a problem and a head case, and Big Ben was just a defensive player.

When you're talking about a real star, are you talking about a 30 ppg caliber scorer (like T-Mac..). Let's say Tracy won't be like the way he used to, what about the '02 Kings, who many think deserved a championship. They didn't have a 30ppg scorer, yet they had a team that was in sync, making each other into better players, coached by none other than Rick Adelman.

I don't know about this emotional leader. Are you talking motivation? That can come from example players like Yao, and that can also come from the coach as well. Pat Riley for the Heat was known to make mesmerizing speeches in the locker room. I would call that an emotional leader. I don't know too much about Rick Adelman, but I'm sure he knows how to get his players fired up, hence their homecourt fluke blow outs on the Lakers.

Also, you are underrating Shane Battier. First of all, he is easily one of the best perimeter defenders in the NBA. He's the guy they stick on the opposing best player, and he always finds a way to make them appear much worse when playing the Rockets. He's also a great help defender, a hustle player, a player who is always in the right position, and much more. He's also a vocal leader. Both in the locker room and on the court. He's a guy who is always talking on defense, telling people where to be and what's going on behind them. All this while holding down the best players in the world.

Look, I'm not trying to talk about the Rockets as if they are going places this year. Just a borderline playoff team in the West. I think I've made my case. I'm predicting 7th seed.

you bring up the kings example. ariza is new to the team, mcgrady missed a lot last season, who else will be important.. possibly chase budinger, he is new also.

yeah, of course he's probably the best perimeter defender in the NBA. The problem is they have no offense. if anything t-mac does, it is scoring and stopping the offense. he is all for himself. i know you've made your case. you made points that they could make the playoffs. and if they were to make the playoffs, no doubt as a borderline team. but i think they will just miss out. 9th seed. followed by the thunder, grizzlies, clippers, and timberwolves 3-10 games behind.

I don't see Houston making the playoffs unless McGrady plays at least 62 games fully healthy and that doesn't appear to be likely. Rocket fans when is he expected to play and be at 100%? And will he hold up when he hasn't in recent years?

What's being forgotten is without McGrady and Yao these guys will get a lot more defensive attention and Brooks is the only one who can create his own shot. Ariza with more attempts will just be exposed as the poor shooter he is. He won't get the uncontested looks and open space he did in LA. Brooks has speed but you concede the jumper and play off him and his shot is inconsistent. Battier is a great role player but on a team without McGrady he'd have to put up a lot more points than he's capable of producing. Scola will score more but he'll be swarmed inside. Without McGrady and Yao all you have to do is sink and pack the paint and dare Houston to shoot. The Rockets will have to run to win but you can't run if you don't board. Scola and Landry can, Anderson vs NBA starters? We'll see. Commit to transition defense, pack the paint, Houston loses too many games without McGrady to make the playoffs.

Talent wins in the NBA and this year the Rox don't have enough of it.

Fans are clinging to the Laker playoff games and then extrapolating four games to 82. Doesn't work that way guys. A team can't maintain that level of energy for a season and the league catches up to how you play. Also have to factor in the poor Laker defense man up at 1 and their team weakness in defending pick and roll, the Phil Jackson kryptonite.

Most of the Houston players need a teammate dominating the defense's attention to succeed. Without McGrady that teammate doesn't exist and the limited games of the remaining Rockets are exposed. TMac has to play at least 62 or the 20+ games he's out will have too many losses to make the playoffs.

Edited by Sky

I don't see Houston making the playoffs unless McGrady plays at least 62 games fully healthy and that doesn't appear to be likely. Rocket fans when is he expected to play and be at 100%? And will he hold up when he hasn't in recent years?

What's being forgotten is without McGrady and Yao these guys will get a lot more defensive attention and Brooks is the only one who can create his own shot. Ariza with more attempts will just be exposed as the poor shooter he is. He won't get the uncontested looks and open space he did in LA. Brooks has speed but you concede the jumper and play off him and his shot is inconsistent. Battier is a great role player but on a team without McGrady he'd have to put up a lot more points than he's capable of producing. Scola will score more but he'll be swarmed inside. Without McGrady and Yao all you have to do is sink and pack the paint and dare Houston to shoot. The Rockets will have to run to win but you can't run if you don't board. Scola and Landry can, Anderson vs NBA starters? We'll see. Commit to transition defense, pack the paint, Houston loses too many games without McGrady to make the playoffs.

Talent wins in the NBA and this year the Rox don't have enough of it.

Fans are clinging to the Laker playoff games and then extrapolating four games to 82. Doesn't work that way guys. A team can't maintain that level of energy for a season and the league catches up to how you play. Also have to factor in the poor Laker defense man up at 1 and their team weakness in defending pick and roll, the Phil Jackson kryptonite.

Most of the Houston players need a teammate dominating the defense's attention to succeed. Without McGrady that teammate doesn't exist and the limited games of the remaining Rockets are exposed. TMac has to play at least 62 or the 20+ games he's out will have too many losses to make the playoffs.

The Rockets have enough talent, the new guys, Budinger and Andersen could make a huge impact, we are only missing Yao realistically and either way the Rockets have known to play well when players are injured, we've been doing it for years now.

Budinger and Anderson are talented but new to the league. They face a learning curve at the same time that McGrady is out, making it harder for them to succeed. TMac out until at least late November also means a slow start and that can build on itself with a team that doesn't have experienced starters.

Houston has played without Yao or McGrady but usually they have at least one on the floor. Their experience with both out is limited.

Edited by Sky

Budinger and Anderson are talented but new to the league. They face a learning curve at the same time that McGrady is out, making it harder for them to succeed. TMac out until at least late November also means a slow start and that can build on itself with a team that doesn't have experienced starters.

Houston has played without Yao or McGrady but usually they have at least one on the floor. Their experience with both out is limited.

True, but the team looks great in my opinion, we still have a lot of good players and a decent bench, Scola could have a most improved player year, but we'll see, I beileve we can be anywhere between 7-9, no lower no higher.

They have good players but you need impact to win. Good players still need the great player to free them.

I have the Rockets in an 8-11 window, but the 8 seed is the optimistic scenario with McGrady back as soon as he can and then staying healthy the whole season. Looking at the schedule I have the Rox at 7-10 through November and then under .500 again in December. Can easily see them six games under .500 as of New Year's Day. Tough hole to climb out of.

It is if you go 0-4 from 3 and this is in like 20 minutes of playing time.

All of his shots were good shots. Chucking is if you constantly take dumb shots. Laker fans see it far more than you guys.

And if we're switching to subject to Houston, they're potential won't be seen until T-mac returns. Until then we don't know how well Ariza fits in the system. Then, you gotta look at the competition. Suns and Clippers may also do well enough to compete for the 8th seed.

All of his shots were good shots. Chucking is if you constantly take dumb shots. Laker fans see it far more than you guys.

And if we're switching to subject to Houston, they're potential won't be seen until T-mac returns. Until then we don't know how well Ariza fits in the system. Then, you gotta look at the competition. Suns and Clippers may also do well enough to compete for the 8th seed.

I actually beileve that Ariza would work better with T-Mac, sort of like the Kobe-Ariza combo.