Trio scuffling for last spot with Griz

La Bomba

Trey Gilder, Leon Rodgers and Mike Taylor -- working with nonguaranteed contracts -- had to be as exhausted as the team's assured players who staggered off the court.

They didn't show any signs of weariness, though, and participated in another half hour of drills. There's no time to lose, only a roster spot as far as those three are concerned.

Even with Marko Jaric excused from the Grizzlies to find employment elsewhere, the team has 14 players signed, and that means there is just one vacant slot. Gilder, Rodgers and Taylor know the math, and each player seems as confident as he is different.

Gilder is a long, athletic swingman, Taylor excites as a speedy guard and Rodgers makes appealing his experience and versatility at forward. What they have in common is the desire to avoid the fate free-agent guard Thomas Gardner suffered Thursday when he was waived.

"It's more mental than the physical stuff at this point," Rodgers said. "I have to try to be that X factor. ... They pretty much know what I can do. It's just a matter of me proving that I can work as hard as the next guy."

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/oct/10/trio-scuffling-for-last-spot-with-griz/