Raptors Turn Attention To Kleiza

BasX

Toronto was interested in Charlie Villanueva, but he has now agreed to terms with Detroit.

The Raptors will now turn its attention back to Denver's Linas Kleiza, who they contacted early in the free agent process last night.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60267/20090701/raptors_turn_attention_to_kleiza/

I like it, for the right price.

I'm fine with Kleiza for about $2-2.5M a season, but anything more than that and I would just tell him to hit the road. All he really does is provide the Raptors with shooting and he is actually a fairly streaky shooter himself. He gives a bit of toughness and an edge to the team as well but he isn't a good defender or anything like that so I wouldn't pay him all that much. If he wants a bigger contract than $2.5M/season I would just look elsewhere because I am sure that you can manage to find a guy that will be able to bring basically the exact same things that Kleiza brings for around that amount.

Kleiza should not be a priority right now, we need a difference maker, that is why I don't want to see us waste our cap on Ariza.... after we use our cap use a portion of the MLE on Kleiza aight that's fine. Don't watch the guy whatsoever, but from what I hear from Raptors fans(take it for what it's worth) he'd be a very good addition, 6th man type.

Kleiza should not be a priority right now, we need a difference maker, that is why I don't want to see us waste our cap on Ariza.... after we use our cap use a portion of the MLE on Kleiza aight that's fine. Don't watch the guy whatsoever, but from what I hear from Raptors fans(take it for what it's worth) he'd be a very good addition, 6th man type.

The Raptors won't have a MLE this offseason because they are under the salary cap. Unless you are able to resign all of your own free agents, thus putting yourself over the cap (i.e. the Raptors use all of their cap room on resigning Delfino, Marion and Parker), and you are still given the exceptions to work with. I could be wrong about this but I thought that if you are under the salary cap you aren't able to use the exceptions and they only work if you are over the cap? If you could clarify the second sentance for me, that would be great.

As for Kleiza being a 6th man type, no he wouldn't. He is a 8th man off of the bench at best for a team if you ask me. Then again, the Raptors are a team that lacks any depth at all so now that I think about it, there would be a good chance if Kleiza is signed that he would be the 6th man for the Raptors lol.

Who are these difference maker type of players that you expect the Raptors to be able to sign? Hedo Turkoglu's asking price is ridiculously high and I wouldn't touch him if I were the Raptors at anything more than $8M/3yr. Shawn Marion is not a difference maker as he is just a role player (although a very good one). Lamar Odom is an option, but do you really consider him to be a difference maker or another Marion type of player? Marvin Williams, a player that I am very high and love his game, could be worth the risk as he is young and is overshadowed in Atlanta with guys like Joe Johnson, Josh Smith and the like there, but in order to pry him away from the Hawks the Raptors would have to drastically over pay for him because I can't see the Hawks letting him go lightly. The Raptors biggest position of need is on the wings, but realistically, are there even any difference makers that are the right fit for the Raptors on the market? Unless I am forgetting a major player, I can't think of one.

FA isn't the only way, RJ and VC went for next to nothing, there has to be someone out there that can play on the wing for us.... and yeah I know how exceptions work I was suggesting we use our cap first THEN our exceptions, and if the MLE is 5.5 million and you have 5 in cap you can use the MLE.

Ya raptors are hurting for some good wing players, but I dont see it happening. What they should do is use their cap space on giving 3-4 wing players that are undervalued an equal opportunity to develop into better players. By doing this, they could find an undescovered talent just like Ariza who emerged out of nowhere to now ask for a rediculous payday. Give them each a one year deal, if nothing works out, try again next year. Regardless, this will be a tough year to watch the raps.