Amare: Nash-Stoudemire Era Isn't Over

Sun Tzu

Suns center Amare Stoudemire is getting closer to 100 percent and he's excited about the team's chances this season.

Phoenix has reinstalled their run-and-gun system under head coach Alvin Gentry.

"The Nash-and-Stoudemire era is not over yet," Stoudemire told the Arizona Republic. "We're still here. We're still improving. We're still getting better as a unit. We're bringing the Phoenix Suns team with us. I'll tell you what: We're definitely focusing in on the defensive end and it's going to show this season."

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/62329/20091024/amare_nash_stoudemire_era_isnt_over/

when did it start?

In 2004, perhaps? MVP Nash and All-NBA Stoudemire played on the Suns that had the best regular season record in the league. And except for this past season, the Suns have been excellent ever since. Had it not been for arbitrary discipline decisions, they likely would have won the championship in 2007.

And Nash was on a Wheaties box.

Talk is cheap. We have been hearing about how the Suns will be an improved defensive team since Steve Nash's first season back in Phoenix but year in and year out they are the same mediocore defensive team and year in and year out that is their downfall.

I do agree that the Suns could be a good sleeper team this year considering some people don't think that they will even be a playoff team, but unless they make some huge strides defensively, which I don't believe they will considering the personnel on the team, they won't be anything more than a first or second round playoff exit.

Well you could say Demar Derozan is all talk also and you support him as a favorite player .. kinda hypocritical.

Amare is a proven superstar scoring power foward in the league and you doubt he makes a impact when he returns 100% healthy as is telling people that he is back to do what he did before.

Well you could say Demar Derozan is all talk also and you support him as a favorite player .. kinda hypocritical.

Amare is a proven superstar scoring power foward in the league and you doubt he makes a impact when he returns 100% healthy as is telling people that he is back to do what he did before.

What the hell does that have to do with anything? Do you even know what hypocritical means?

Please, explain to me how having DeMar DeRozan as my favourite player makes what I said in this thread hypocritical?

I said talk is cheap because year after year we always hear about how the Phoenix Suns are going to be an improved defensive team, how they are focusing primarily on defense, yadda yadda yadda, yet the Suns have shown absolutely no improvements defensively at all. They have traded away their best defensive players in Shawn Marion and Raja Bell and fired their defensive minded coach because of players not willing to commit to playing defense.

I said that talk is cheap because the Suns have talked more about defense than they have actually played it, yet somehow that is hypocritical of me because DeMar DeRozan is one of my favourite players? Right...

Hell, you bring up something to do with Amare Stoudemire when I didn't even mention his name in my post. Even then, you talk only about offense, which I didn't even mention as I was strictly talking about defense, something that Amare is allergic to playing.

Keep reaching there buddy...

Edited by Built Ford Tough

• Owner

I have to agree with Yama and Sean here. You just can't say, "Hell, I'll play defense this season." Nash has been a poor defender his entire career, and Amare is also a bad defensive player. If he wants to be less lazy, I can probably see him being average (because he did do well, inconsistently, against the likes of Duncan and Dirk), but average defense with a pathetic defensive point, pathetic defense at the two and no defense from Channing Frye...how does that translate into a good defensive team?

The only guy dedicated to defense, and having the ability to play it, is Grant Hill. There are too many matadors on the Suns' roster, and in a league that is dominated by guards, Phoenix will get wasted without backcourt defense. You saw what the Spurs (preferably Parker) did to their frontcourt a couple of seasons back. Despite Shaq's inability to stop him and Duncan from scoring, Parker was able to get to the bucket like he was riding a dirt bike among scooters, and that's ultimately how the Suns were crushed in that series.