Deadline for Grizzlies, Rudy Gay nears

La Bomba

Time is expiring on Rudy Gay and the Grizzlies as it relates to working out a contract extension.

But Gay isn't watching the clock.

While Gay's agent, Jeff Austin, continues to discuss his client's long-term future with the franchise, the 6-8 forward remains indifferent.

"I'm not concerned about that," Gay said. "If it happens it happens. If not I'm looking forward to being a (restricted) free agent. It's hasn't been my focus. My focus is playing games like (Friday night) and getting wins."

The Griz, fresh off a 115-107 victory over Toronto, boarded a flight Saturday for Denver where they'll begin a five-game road trip tonight in the Pepsi Center. The NBA extended a deadline for contract extensions for all players from the 2006 draft class from Saturday to Monday.

Gay will have until 10:59 p.m. CST Monday to complete a deal. He'd essentially have to sign a contract extension that day before the Grizzlies' tip off against the Sacramento Kings in ARCO Arena.

Both parties give the impression that the odds are 50-50 of a deal happening. The only significant development in negotiations is that Austin and Griz general manager Chris Wallace began talking money over the past few days for the first time.

Since July, both sides held conversations that amounted to nothing more than exchanging pleasantries. Each side now knows the other's view of Gay's worth.

"We'll talk some more over the next couple of days," Austin said. "I have no idea whether that means we'll get something done. I don't want to get into details. Either you get there or you don't. Either way it's OK. I think Rudy's going to have a terrific year and free agency looks good. He's not stressed. He's in a very good position."

Gay would become a restricted free agent next summer if no contract extension is consummated.

Reportedly, Gay is seeking a five-year deal worth between $50 million and $60 million.

Griz owner Michael Heisley would only confirm that he's not willing to pay Gay the maximum salary allowed. Such a deal would give Gay $80-plus million like the contract extension Portland's Brandon Roy received.

"There's no question we have a high appreciation for Rudy and his talent," Heisley said. "Now the question is how do you get to the right deal? If you're asking me am I willing to pay as much as I can possibly pay, no. That's not appropriate in today's financial climate.

"We're going to make a very attractive offer to Rudy. We think he's a great player. They think he's a great player. We have a very high opinion of Rudy."

Only four first-round picks from 2006 have received extensions so far -- Roy, Toronto's Andrea Bargnani, Portland's LaMarcus Aldridge and Thabo Sefolosha of Oklahoma City.

Boston's Rajon Rondo and Gay are the only high-profile first-rounders from the 2006 class still working on a deal.

Austin visited Memphis for the Grizzlies' first two regular-season games. He continued contract discussions that were in line with what's taken place most of the offseason.

No one involved with Gay's negotiations is willing to say whether the sides are close or far apart.

"It's pointless to characterize negotiations," Wallace said. "You either have a deal or you don't. All I can say is we've had consistent, ongoing discussions."

Gay is the Grizzlies' longest-tenured player and led the team in scoring (18.9 points) and steals (1.24) for as second consecutive season in 2008-09.

"We're trying to come to an agreement," Heisley said. "I don't want people to think anything else."

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/nov/01/deadline-for-grizzlies-gay-nears/