Nash Wants Stoudemire In Phoenix

Sun Tzu

Suns point guard Steve Nash wants the team to keep center Amare Stoudemire in town.

Nash signed an extension this past offseason so that he wouldn't hit the free agent market in 2010.

Stoudemire has the power to opt out of the final year of his contract and become an unrestricted free agent after the season.

"I just want him to enjoy the year," Nash told the Boston Globe. "Get his full health and confidence back and have a great season. If he does that and he's enjoying his game and we have a productive year, we can worry about that stuff after that. But if we worry about that now and don't have a great year, we have our priorities mixed up."

Stoudemire has nothing but love for Phoenix.

"Ever since I have been a rookie, I have been blessed with great teammates. The city as well has embraced me. I enjoy the city of Phoenix but you never know what the future holds," he said.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/62628/20091107/nash_wants_stoudemire_in_phoenix/

• Owner

That's because Steve Nash is John Stockton, minus the defense. If the Mailman left Utah, banking on Stockton to lead them to an NBA Finals was pushing it. Same with Nash. Without Amare, you're asking him to create for Jason Richardson and Grant Hill. I doubt Phoenix will be going anywhere if they have to depend on Nash to average 25-26 PPG and still throw 10-11 assists a night.

I honestly don't remember a game that Nash scored over that 42 points he had not too long ago. Anyone? I think his career high is still 42, and 27 field goal attempts, and 16 free throw attempts. Not exactly Kobe or LeBron in terms of taking shots and getting to the line, and that's why he needs his all-star forward.

That's because Steve Nash is John Stockton, minus the defense. If the Mailman left Utah, banking on Stockton to lead them to an NBA Finals was pushing it. Same with Nash. Without Amare, you're asking him to create for Jason Richardson and Grant Hill. I doubt Phoenix will be going anywhere if they have to depend on Nash to average 25-26 PPG and still throw 10-11 assists a night.

I honestly don't remember a game that Nash scored over that 42 points he had not too long ago. Anyone? I think his career high is still 42, and 27 field goal attempts, and 16 free throw attempts. Not exactly Kobe or LeBron in terms of taking shots and getting to the line, and that's why he needs his all-star forward.

Well, not only that, but he's getting older too. He NEEDS Amare to come back if he wants a decent shot at a title.

One thing that Phoenix has lacked is bench depth...they really could use a couple of core guys coming off the bench and giving some nice production while Nash, Hill, and Richardson rest. They don't really have anyone right now that fits the bill, and all those minutes are going to take their toll near season's end, when you really need your team at its best.

• Owner

I actually figured that Nash would head over to New York to be reunited with his old coach AND a big free agent, but I was wrong when I found out he signed that extension.

But yeah, that back is bothering him more and more every year, it seems.

lol even with Amare I don't think the Suns will be gunning for a title. Their bench right now is absolutely terrible and although their off to a nice start they won't keep up this pace. If they have a major injury they are screwed. There is no depth on that team at all.