Lakers All-Time Starting Five

Real Deal

• Owner

Primary and secondary positions allowed.

C - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

PF - Elgin Baylor

SF - Kobe Bryant

SG - Jerry West

PG - Magic Johnson

Let's try this again...

C - Kareem

PF - Gasol?

SF - Baylor

SG - Kobe

PG - Magic

If you get to cheat on positions if the player has the ability to play well there:

1 Magic

2 Kobe

3 Baylor

4 Wilt

5 Kareem

If you don't cheat on positions then Gasol at 4 instead. Shaq's inability to defend pick and roll forces him to the bench.

The full 12

1 Magic, Nixon

2 Kobe, West, Cooper

3 Baylor, Worthy, Wilkes

4 Wilt, Gasol

5 Kareem, Shaq

Deepest all-time team in the league.

• 1 year later...
  • Owner

Bump.

Help me out. Is it Shaq or Kareem? And it's so difficult sticking Kobe over West, but I'm considering the two different eras, the Laker records held by Bryant, and the five championships Kobe has won.

When Wilt was a Laker, his prime was nowhere near Kareem or Shaq's (when both of them were in LA). And Shaq's peak is much better than Kareem's.

And I don't think there's much doubt that Kobe is the better player than West, he's the second best SG ever.

• Owner

When Wilt was a Laker, his prime was nowhere near Kareem or Shaq's (when both of them were in LA). And Shaq's peak is much better than Kareem's.

And I don't think there's much doubt that Kobe is the better player than West, he's the second best SG ever.

Yeah, I never considered Wilt as the Lakers' greatest center.

I ended up changing it to Shaq a few hours ago, despite some Lakers fans thinking it should be Kareem. My reasoning? Kareem's last two rings, he wasn't at his best...in fact, he was exiting his career. He wasn't the man for this third, either. His best days as a Laker came before Magic put on his jersey, and I don't think there's any argument that Kareem's greatness was put on display as a Buck, more than ever.

Shaq's three consecutive rings came as a Laker, in his ultimate prime, playing the best basketball of his career.

For those reasons, I really can't leave Shaq out.

I'm going to cheat here:

C - Shaq

PF - Magic Johnson

SF - Elgin Baylor

SG - Kobe Bryant

PG - Jerry West

Magic played PF when he returned in 96, but also played all over the floor in the 80s. West was primarily a SG but took over more PG duties towards the end of his career where he led the Lakers in assists.

But if you want the best Lakers all-time at their position:

C - Shaq

PF - Gasol

SF - Baylor

SG - Kobe

PG - Magic