Rockets All-Time Starting Five

Real Deal

• 1 year later...
  • Owner

Help.

Hakeem, Hayes and Malone were all centers in Houston. Hayes played every season in Houston at the center position (thought he was a four in HOU). Same with Malone, and obviously Hakeem.

It's a given that Hakeem is my starting center. I know what Malone did, but Hakeem was there longer, had FAR better defense, and wasn't selfish.

C - Hakeem Olajuwon

Now for the rest...

PF - Otis Thorpe? Hard to put Sampson here, if he only really played three full seasons in Houston.

SF - Rudy Tomjanovich

SG - Tracy McGrady? Clyde Drexler?

PG - Calvin Murphy

I'd like to start Dream, Malone and Hayes altogether, but I just want them in their natural positions for the particular teams they played for.

Well my All Time Rockets lineup would be :

C. Hakeem Olajuwon

P.F. Moses Malone

S.F. Tracy McGrady

S.G. Calvin Murphy

P.G. Steve Francis

But I know that you want to mention players only at the position they started at.

So I guess that in that case I would go with Rudy T for the starting PF. Yes PF cause Rudy was a swingman and in fact always started at PF (if I'm not mystaken). And I liked OT a lot but Rudy was just a better player overall.

T Mac can definitely be mentioned as the SF, he actually started at SF most of the time before the arrivals of Battier and later Artest. But if you still don't want to put him as the SF, well I guess that it doesn't leave much choices... Either Horry, Robert Reid or McMcray maybe.

Murphy was a pure combo guard and if he most of the time started at PG, he also started many times at SG. All the years the Rockets backcourt was Murphy - Lucas for example. That's not many years though and it's true that Calvin started at PG for most of his career so I suppose that you'd prefer to mention him as a PG. In that case I guess I would go with Drexler as the starting SG. Unless you prefer to consider T Mac as a SG. Drexler was a very important part of the 95 team that won its second ring, and he had some nice years in Houston despite the fact that he was past his prime, even was All Star twice, but he was not the same player that he was in Portland. So if you don't want to mention T Mac at SF I'd go with T Mac over him.

In case you choose to put Murphy as the starting SG I definitely would go with Francis as the PG. It is true that Steve didn't really deserve his "Franchise" nickname as he never led the Rockets anywhere.. but he still was a phenomenal player in his Rockets days and is clearly the best PG that the team ever had. Well that is the best PG not named Murphy of course.

So again I know that you won't go with my first choice haha, so I guess that you should go with either :

C. Hakeem Olajuwon

P.F. Rudy Tomjanovich

S.F. Tracy McGrady

S.G. Calvin Murphy

P.G. Steve Francis

Or (if you don't want to use Murphy as a SG) :

C. Hakeem Olajuwon

P.F. Rudy Tomjanovich

S.F. Tracy McGrady

S.G. Clyde Drexler

P.G. Calvin Murphy

Or (if you don't want to use McGrady as a SF) :

C. Hakeem Olajuwon

P.F. Rudy Tomjanovich

S.F. Rodney McCray

S.G. Tracy McGrady

P.G. Calvin Murphy

Edited by Oliver P

This is a very tough list to make. The Rockets have so many great bigs in Malone, Hayes, Sampson, and Olajuwon and so little of everything else as far as greats go. But i'll do my best, here's wht I got.

C-Hakeem Olajuwon

PF-Moses Malone

SF-Tracy McGrady

SG-Clyde Drexler

PG-Calvin Murphy or Steve Francis

• Owner

Yeah, I'm going to stick McGrady at the three. I do remember Wesley and Sura starting together, which pushes McGrady up.

And Rudy Tomjanovich was a PF, so that's my mistake. Had to go back and look at the starting fives. For the most part, he was playing PF.

C - Hakeem

PF - Tomjanovich

SF - McGrady

SG - Drexler

PG - Murphy

I really want to put Malone or Hayes in there, but I can't stick them over Hakeem, and both rarely played PF for Houston.

• 1 month later...