2nd Best Player on Heat Team?

Poe

2nd Best Player?  

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm not asking for who's the number 2 scoring option, which is Michael Beasley, and not necessarily asking for who's the 2nd best from a statistical standpoint, or who's most likely going to be the best in the future. I'm asking for who, as of right now, is the 2nd best player on the Heat team in terms of on court per-minute production, skill set, awareness, overall abilities, perhaps durability, and everything else that factors into a basketball player.

So, in your opinion, who would you say is currently the 2nd best player on the Miami Heat team? Discuss.

It should be Beasley but sadly it is JO or Haslem which isn't anything to be excited about. I thought Beasley would be dropping 20 a game this year, boy was I wrong.

He's still only 20 years old and has plenty of room left to develop. He may not have broken out right away as some have expected, but I think we'll start to at least see some steady improvement as the year goes on.

Comparing his start from this year from last, he's already shown improvement. He's had three 20-point games in his first 11 games this season. Last year he didn't get his third 20 point game until his 17th game, nor did he get his first double-double until January.

He still hasn't completely become a fluid part of the offense, but I think with time he'll start to find his spots on the court and figure out where and when are his best scoring opportunities, which is probably a reason why he's been in the starting line up. Hopefully the coaching staff will help him learn when to shoot, when to attack, and when to keep the ball moving.

Having watched 2 Heat games this year, I would say Jermaine O'Neal.

It's hard for me to call Jermaine the clear cut second best, either. He's been very inconsistent when it comes to scoring the ball, although his rebounding is at about what I expected it to be.

I think it has mostly to do with the Heat as a team, though, and finding ways to get him more involved. He has been shooting a high percentage, so I think it has a lot to do with the number of touches he's been getting in each game.

That Chalmers kid beasted last night. As I expected it is 100% on Wade, the Heat have NO ONE else who can create for themselves. Got some good spot up shooters but you have so many no name big men playing with Haslem out.

Wade needs help, at least LeBron has Mo who can create on his own a bit, Wade has nothing.

JO was horrid last night, don't know if that is how he has been playing all year but Bosh made an absolute fool of Jermaine last night.

That Chalmers kid beasted last night. As I expected it is 100% on Wade, the Heat have NO ONE else who can create for themselves. Got some good spot up shooters but you have so many no name big men playing with Haslem out.

Wade needs help, at least LeBron has Mo who can create on his own a bit, Wade has nothing.

JO was horrid last night, don't know if that is how he has been playing all year but Bosh made an absolute fool of Jermaine last night.

I didn't watch the game.. though I think the reason for Jermaine's poor play has been injuries, again, but for different reasons. He started off the season well, then a couple games later he broke his nose, which made him play more timid mostly with his rebounding and attacking the basket. Then he sat out of a game because of a hip injury. I'm not sure exactly what his status is with his injuries at this point, but I think that could be the main reason for his poor play recently.

Also, there were only 2 big men who came off the bench for Miami against Toronto. Joel Anthony, who plays very well defensively, and has always been the guy who subs in for O'Neal, and starts whenever he can't play. And Shavlik Randolph, who signed with the Heat as the 3rd string PF. 2 lesser names, one of which gets consistent playing time on a nightly basis, I would hardly call "a bunch of no names".

It is true that Wade is missing the one true second guy. Jermaine is fragile and never seems to find a way to remain healthy. Beasley is still young and developing. Haslem can score 20 when called upon to, but they need him for the dirty work. Chalmers is pretty solid in his role, though there is no way he'll be getting those 30 nightly... yet. Hopefully Beasley can develop into the 20 and 10 player that he was set out to be, and soon, and hopefully the Heat can land a good free agent who can create as well to really take a good portion of the load off of Wade's shoulders.

I think it is quite clear that even though Wade is the best player on the Miami Heat team, Jermaine O'Neal definitely plays a key role in their offense at times and defense. At first, after Beasley was drafted second overall, I thought he would be the second best player for the struggling Heat, but so far he hasn't been that promising.

• Owner

It should be Beasley, but that's why the Heat are inconsistent and struggling to win games. If he was playing up to his expectations, they would be fine.

Beasley had a solid fourth in that last game, though...but it takes at least 25-30 minutes of good play to truly make an impact and be called the second best player on the team. Fact is, 12 minutes of good play doesn't exactly make up for the 20 minutes of inconsistent and below-average play that LED to you having to play exceptionally well in the clutch to have a chance at a victory.