Mike Conley gets message to pick it up

La Bomba

With Allen Iverson absent, so too was the controversy over him not starting.

The Grizzlies held a peaceful yet spirited practice Tuesday with everyone on the same page and well aware of their individual roles.

But that didn't mean third-year point guard Mike Conley could mute the footsteps just because Iverson -- by way of a mutually agreed divorce -- no longer charges with his strong personality and heavy demands.

The Griz aim for their third win this season tonight when they host the Los Angeles Clippers with the point guard spot perceived to be the weakest link to a 2-8 record.

Conley's inconsistent play and regression from his late emergence last season compelled the Griz to sign veteran floor general Jamaal Tinsley over the weekend. While the Griz made Tinsley no promises for a starting job, the acquisition sent a clear message to Conley.

Either Conley delivers stronger performances or a proven, veteran and true point guard will receive the keys to the team.

"In this league, you always hear footsteps," Griz coach Lionel Hollins said. "There's always somebody over there on the bench that wants your job, and if you don't play well they will eventually get it.

"Mike just has to continue to improve. He's got to be better defensively. He's got to be better at leading and directing. He was much better at those things last year. He's got to get back to being that and then get better from there."

That is not to say Hollins has singled out Conley for the team's slow start. The Grizzlies' struggles can be attributed to their selfish play at times, always porous defense and an ineffective bench.

Conley, though, is aware of his foibles.

"I need to be more consistent and more aggressive at certain times," Conley said. "I hope they still believe in me. I struggled in a few games but the (Minnesota game last Saturday) was a good game to get my feet under me. Everybody has a lull during the course of a season. But we're all trying to do whatever we can to win games."

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/nov/18/conley-gets-message-to-pick-it-up/