Dough Smith: DeMar DeRozan is Struggling Mightily

We all knew there would be times when the kid would look a bit overwhelmed and out of place during games this year but, seriously, I don’t think anyone expected it to be this often, this early.

The numbers are mostly awful: A point, a rebound and four fouls n 17 minutes yesterday; seven and seven against Miami on Friday is okay but two points and no rebounds in Utah is bad, the 17 points in Denver’s a fraud because most of them came in garbage time and he was invisible with six and two in Phoenix and a non-factor against the Clippers.

But more than the numbers, it’s the “other” stuff he’s not getting done.

There’s very little energy, his defence is lax and while there seems to be effort there, it looks wasted at time. All those little things, like running, rebounding, setting good screens, aren’t happening often enough.

I don’t think it’s time to make any drastic changes or anything – I wouldn’t even think about altering anything until at least 20 games into a season – but they need him to work harder and be better.

http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/2009/11/sometimes-you-get-what-you-deserve.html

I honestly couldn't disagree with Smith more on this subject. Yeah, DeRozan isn't putting up jaw-dropping stats and isn't in the running for Rookie of the Year or anything but to say that he has been awful makes me question whether or not Smith simply had too high of expectations for DeRozan, or if he is watching the same player that I am. Prior to the draft everybody knew that DeRozan was a project and was very raw so I am very happy with what he has given the Raptors so far.

Who cares about the numbers that DeRozan is putting up? What do you expect DeRozan to put up when he is the 5th option whenever he is on the floor and is getting 5 shots a game? For a player that was supposed not contribute much in his rookie season, averaging 5.5 points and 3 boards on 44% shooting in just 18 minutes of play is good enough for me. Its not like the Raptors need scoring from him anyways, and even if they were in need of scoring its not like DeRozan is going to be the one getting the ball with players like Bosh, Bargnani, Turkoglu, Calderon and Bellineli on the team. The fact of the matter is that he rarely even gets any touches on offense and most of them come either on the fast break or off of a broken play. How can you expect him to put up any better numbers than what he has taking that into consideration?

One thing on the "numbers" issue, is that I am pretty sure DeRozan had like 10 points at the half against the Nuggets and scored most of his points before garbage time while the game was still up for grabs. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure that Smith is the one in the wrong on that particular subject.

As far as his comments about DeRozan not playing with any energy, playing lax defense and all of that, I definitely disagree there. He has been the Raptors second best defender so far this season, at least when it comes to the starters, which isn't saying much, but is still worth pointing out. You also have to factor in that so far this season DeRozan has had to guard players like Manu Ginobili, Ben Gordon, Vince Carter, OJ Mayo, John Salmons, Jason Richardson, JR Smith and Dwyane Wade. I would really like to see any rookie, let alone a 20 year old project, step in and play lockdown defense on these kinds of offensive talents. Almost all of these players could be considered good to great offensive players. The only player that I can really say went off on Ginobili, at least from memory, was Manu as the rest of the players had others guarding them when they got hot. He held Dwyane Wade and Vince Carter to below 40% shooting when he was guarding them if I recall correctly.

Out of all of the Raptors starters, he is the one that is hustling for loose balls, diving on the floor, looking to get on the boards (at least for the wing players) etc... the most, so I hardly see how he isn't playing with enough energy either. I have lost count of how many times I have seen DeRozan get out on the break and run, only to have Calderon pull the ball out or pass it to somebody else instead of the wide open DeRozan. He is almost always looking to get out and run because he knows that is where he can make an impact.

Yeah, at times DeRozan tends to fade away and become somewhat invisible out there. He will make some rookie mistakes that will result in a turnover or bad shot on offense or a blown assignment or easy opportunity on defense and has been somewhat inconsistent, but again, what did you expect? Should Triano be like Mitchell during Bargnani's rookie season and bury him on the bench every time he makes the slightest mistake, and in the process, completely destroy his confidence and set his development back? That would be dumber than this "article" from Smith.

I honestly don't think that they need him to work harder, and they sure as hell need players like Jose Calderon to be better more than they need DeRozan to. Considering his role on the team, what was expected of him coming into the season, and the fact that he is only 20 years old and is a project, I don't think that you can complain about the way that DeRozan has played so far. Obviously he hasn't been great, but I think that we really couldn't, or shouldn't have, expected more out of him thus far.

To avoid making this post into an unreadable wall of text, if it hasn't already gotten to that point, I am going to stop here. :lol:

Am I alone in thinking this, or do you guys agree with me?

Edited by Built Ford Tough
  • Like 1

i dont think iv seen a raps game but what do they expect from him? he wasnt put in a role like evens or jennings so of cause he isnt going to be putting up 20+ points each night they got other plays to do that like u said. cant comment on defense but his athletic so im sure he probably made a few blocks here an there and his going to be playing 100% each night to show why he was picked 6th(?)

i think smith is being to hard and his comparing rookies to each other rather than what roles they have

I feel like Demar is going to come back next year and be really good. I think his shot just needs to be refined which isn't a big problem since his mechanics are okay. He also needs to improve his handle, but once he gets a feel for the game I think he will be good. His shot isn't bad when he has time to set up, but it is atrocious when he is even slightly off balanced or rushed.

I think if we had better help defense or better interior defense Demar would be a fantastic defender. He really gets up and contests shots but the problem is he gets beat off the dribble quite often but there is literally no bail out with Bosh and Bargs down low.

With how bad Demar is, it is absolutely pathetic that Sonny Weems is stealing minutes from him. At least from Demar you get a guy who plays within himself, hustles and runs in the open court. Sonny Weems is the Kris Humphries of wings, drives me absolutely crazy.

The problem with Derozan is his minutes are so pre-determined, I wish he would get a game or two where if he is playing good ball he would get 30 minutes, he has never gotten over 20 minutes more than once or twice. Also wouldn't mind seeing him get more minutes with the second unit where he can be more assertive and make plays, when he is out there with the starters he is kind of just there. His teammates don't look for him and he gives it up as soon as he gets it, Jose only has eyes for Bosh and hardly ever hits Demar when he makes a good cut.

If Demar is getting 18 minutes regardless, I would rather see him get those minutes with the second unit, a lineup of Bargnani-Amir-Demar-Marco-Jack would be one I wouldn't mind seeing, they would be getting up and down the floor.

Wouldn't mind seeing Wright start off guarding the other team's best wing, regardless of his boneheaded offensive decisions, maybe being out there with the starters he won't feel the need to make something happen offensively.

EDIT- A perfect example is when VC was like 2-11 with Demar out there or something like that, and he got yanked after his typical first 8 minutes or whatever, he was playing good but as usual he got yanked after his usual time, for SONNY [expletive]ING WEEMS. I don't mind him coming off for Marco or Wright, but if we have injuries why are we subbing Demar out for inferior players.

Edited by travesy3

It doesn't help when he plays like 10 minutes a game and really isn't used in the offence. I think he is doing a great job, he is a rookie starting on a team where they don't really need to force him to score. He plays some pretty good D, and hustles his butt out there.