Is Amare Stoudemire a "Top 5" PF?

EastCoastNiner

Well, you have Dirk, Garnett, Bosh, and Duncan as the obvious top 4 right now. I guess Amare could compete for the 5th spot right now with Gasol. I would most likely take him over Josh Smith, David West, David Lee, and Antawn Jamison, who in my opinion are the next best power forwards in the league.

Edited by Gil-Zero

I'll go out on a limb and say that Kevin Garnett shouldn't be considered anything better than fifth right now and even that is very arguable. The Celtics have been the least dependent on him defensively, which is the only real argument that fans of Garnett have, then they have before, preffering to rely more on Perkins, who at the moment is averaging the same Defensive Rating as Garnett. Plus, he's down to his worst scoring, rebounding, passing and blocking since his rookie year. And yet his turnovers stay on regular Garnett level.

At the moment, based soley on the way they have been playing and not how their team has fared, the top five Power Forwards in my opinion are:

1) Dirk Nowitzki

2) Chris Bosh

3) Tim Duncan

4) Amare Stoudemire

5) Many players could be argued for this final spot

Stat will get exposed the day he stops playing wish Nash. He is a good player but he will be just as overpaid as Shard was if he gets a max deal, if not more so. He is a PF who is terrible on D and isn't a good rebounder, he might be able to jump high and score well, but he doesn't bring much else to the table.

His play is definitely starting to pick up, and if were talking "right now" then yes he belongs in the Top 5 as a Power Forward. Pau Gasol just came back from injury and IMO he doesn't belong on the list "right now". But as the season goes along and the more minutes/touches he gets he'll put himself back in the Top 5.

Here's what my list looks like in no particular order because right now it's too hard to determine who belongs where.

Kevin Garnett

Chris Bosh

Drik Nowitzky

Tim Duncan

Amare Stoudamire

In a few years guys like Garnett and Duncan will be hoisted out of the top 5 and it will be a sad day as a Basketball fan. But I like the young guys are will start taking over those Hall of Fame guys.

Edited by King Bosh

• 11 months later...

Stat will get exposed the day he stops playing wish Nash. He is a good player but he will be just as overpaid as Shard was if he gets a max deal, if not more so. He is a PF who is terrible on D and isn't a good rebounder, he might be able to jump high and score well, but he doesn't bring much else to the table.

He's really been getting exposed so far this season. :lol: .

He's the best PF in the game. Those of you that haven't hopped on the Amare bandwagon better get on now because he's going to be a member of the NBA 1st-Team this year.

Also, I'm mad that all of my Amare threads got deleted after otr got hacked in June 2009. :angry: .

Edited by EastCoastNiner

Dirk and Gasol are by far and away the 2 best PF's in the league. If Garnett stays healthy and continues to play the way he has started the season off, then he's in that same tier. After them it's Bosh and Amare, with those two being interchangable.

Seriously I can't see how some people don't think Gasol is even in the Top 5 PF in the league. [expletive] Pau Gasol is the best arguably the best PF in the game with Dirk. Bosh and Amar'e got way's to go to be compared with Gasol or Dirk.

Edited by magicbalala245

Dirk and Gasol are by far and away the 2 best PF's in the league. If Garnett stays healthy and continues to play the way he has started the season off, then he's in that same tier. After them it's Bosh and Amare, with those two being interchangable.

And Duncan is completely out of the picture? Mind, Duncan is the best big in the league at making his teammates better, something Bosh, Amare, Dirk lack. Leadership is underestimated in these ranks I'm seeing, as well as defense.

All the power forwards benefit of the system that they are in. You wouldn't be able to put Amare in the slower paced system of the Spurs, and Duncan with the Knicks, for example. This is why it's hard to compose top 5 lists, because it depends on the standards you are basing it on. Defense? Duncan and Garnett are at the top. Offense? There are a variety of different offensive big men. If we're talking about faceup power-forwards, Bosh, Dirk, Gasol are probably the best. Traditional post up goes to Duncan and Garnett, although each has respectively lost a step. So Amare would be the pick-and-roll player, maybe the best of the group of players that have come up.

If we were talking about the top 5 power forwards for a championship team, Amare is not in that category. I've never really seen many signs of leadership from him. Top 5 defensively, definitely not. But his explosive offense would put him in the offensive category, with Garnett taken out. That's Stoudemire's game.

Well, you have Dirk, Garnett, Bosh, and Duncan as the obvious top 4 right now. I guess Amare could compete for the 5th spot right now with Gasol. I would most likely take him over Josh Smith, David West, David Lee, and Antawn Jamison, who in my opinion are the next best power forwards in the league.

lol Gasol>>>>>>>Amare in all aspects of that game, but yeah i do agree that Dirk, Garnett, Bosh, and Duncan would be that other 4 in the top 5.

And Duncan is completely out of the picture? Mind, Duncan is the best big in the league at making his teammates better, something Bosh, Amare, Dirk lack. Leadership is underestimated in these ranks I'm seeing, as well as defense.

All the power forwards benefit of the system that they are in. You wouldn't be able to put Amare in the slower paced system of the Spurs, and Duncan with the Knicks, for example. This is why it's hard to compose top 5 lists, because it depends on the standards you are basing it on. Defense? Duncan and Garnett are at the top. Offense? There are a variety of different offensive big men. If we're talking about faceup power-forwards, Bosh, Dirk, Gasol are probably the best. Traditional post up goes to Duncan and Garnett, although each has respectively lost a step. So Amare would be the pick-and-roll player, maybe the best of the group of players that have come up.

If we were talking about the top 5 power forwards for a championship team, Amare is not in that category. I've never really seen many signs of leadership from him. Top 5 defensively, definitely not. But his explosive offense would put him in the offensive category, with Garnett taken out. That's Stoudemire's game.

My problem with Duncan is he can't give you more than 30MPG anymore, can't carry the load on a consistent basis, and his defense isn't anywhere near where it used to be to make the offensive gap negligible (at this point his defense is right on par with Gasol's). I should have included him in that second tier along with Amare and Bosh, but I'd take both of those players over Duncan at this point.

Garnett is way too inconsistent offensively to be considered in the top tier of PF's still.

I disagree. As long as he's healthy, he still can be a 18-20PPG if the Celtics need him to, and he's the best passing big man in the league. Defensively, when healthy, he's arguably the best in the entire league. Also, once again, if healthy, he can still grab 9-10 boards as well.