Why go to college?

AboveLegit

I've talked this out with people and the opinions are varied. If a kid is a top prospect and doesn't have a real interest in academics, why play professional basketball for free at a US college? It's professional ball because somebody is making millions and they are charging for tickets, television rights and marketing. If a kid can make a substantial living playing ball somewhere, doesn't it make more sense to do so? I acknowledge that a lot of these kids are too dumb to make wise decisions no matter where they play, but all of the fears considered, whether they be injury or failure, wouldn't it be better for them to be screwed up with money in their pockets. If I were advising my son in that situation, anything guaranteed over $500,000 would have us seriously looking into learning a new language.

Maybe I'm overlooking a few things, but feel free to discuss anything related to this topic here.

Because that one year of good coaching from a guy like Roy Williams, Coach K, Bob Huggins etc. can go a long way for an 18 year old kid like that. IMO it also lowers the amount of busts you see come into the league because they simply aren't ready. IMO it should be 2 years because it helps out both the NBA and the NCAA get a better product on the court.

Because that one year of good coaching from a guy like Roy Williams, Coach K, Bob Huggins etc. can go a long way for an 18 year old kid like that. IMO it also lowers the amount of busts you see come into the league because they simply aren't ready. IMO it should be 2 years because it helps out both the NBA and the NCAA get a better product on the court.

Funny you should say this with Brandon Jennings in your sig. Jennings went over to Europe without that one year of great coaching, and he seems to be doing quite alright in the NBA.

I could not agree more.

Funny you should say this with Brandon Jennings in your sig. Jennings went over to Europe without that one year of great coaching, and he seems to be doing quite alright in the NBA.

ONE player, and that one player is averaging 22 ppg off of 19 shots come one man alot of players can do that, if given the shot he is nothing special he is just lucky to be on a very [expletive]ty team where no one cares how many shots he jacks up.

There are always exceptions to the rule like LeBron, Kobe and KG but a lot of the time guys come out way too early. Look at Dorrell Wright. He's got all the physical tools to be a superstar in this league but he came out early and has been a bench player his whole career. I just feel that 2 years in college would do a world of help for most players.

I think guys should ether get two years of college or go directly from high school. I agree with Flash saying that more busts are avoided with a year of college, but if they think they are ready to go to the NBA, that's their choice. If that choice fails for them, it's their fault.

I would like two years because it makes the college game better. Other than that, there is no point of them even coming to college if they are only going to stay one year. If they were allowed to go directly from high school, the Derrick Rose situations would be avoided because kids wouldn't have to cheat their way into college.

I could not agree more.

ONE player, and that one player is averaging 22 ppg off of 19 shots come one man alot of players can do that, if given the shot he is nothing special he is just lucky to be on a very [expletive]ty team where no one cares how many shots he jacks up.

Excuse me?

He's jacking up shots because we've played the majority of the season without Redd and/or Bogut. He's shooting over 43% to go along with 48% from 3-pt land. That's really not too bad if you ask me. Also adding 5.5 assists per game shows that he's not the only one scoring the points or "jacking up shots".

So please, before you call a team "[expletive]ty" even though they're still playing like a 7th or 8th seed, realize what you're saying. We've played over half of our games without or two "top" players. Of course Jennings is going to need to score and create shots, which he happens to be very good at both.

I'd take 22 ppg, 5 apg, and 4 rpg from any rookie. How's your rookies doing, by the way? :rolleyes:

Dude, Jennings is god. Look at this mad cool field goal percentages the last five games.

8-18

6-21

4-15

3-11

7-22

Only one of those games was a win and it was against a special ed team in the Grizzlies. Jennings' hot start was a fluke. I'm not denying his talent, but he'll come back to life when he starts playing half-assed teams.

Excuse me?

He's jacking up shots because we've played the majority of the season without Redd and/or Bogut. He's shooting over 43% to go along with 48% from 3-pt land. That's really not too bad if you ask me. Also adding 5.5 assists per game shows that he's not the only one scoring the points or "jacking up shots".

So please, before you call a team "[expletive]ty" even though they're still playing like a 7th or 8th seed, realize what you're saying. We've played over half of our games without or two "top" players. Of course Jennings is going to need to score and create shots, which he happens to be very good at both.

I'd take 22 ppg, 5 apg, and 4 rpg from any rookie. How's your rookies doing, by the way? :rolleyes:

http://www.otrbasketball.com/forums/topic/212-brandon-jennings-talking-smack/page__st__20__p__6830entry6830

http://www.otrbasketball.com/forums/topic/212-brandon-jennings-talking-smack/page__st__20__p__6898entry6898

Dude, Jennings is god. Look at this mad cool field goal percentages the last five games.

8-18

6-21

4-15

3-11

7-22

Only one of those games was a win and it was against a special ed team in the Grizzlies. Jennings' hot start was a fluke. I'm not denying his talent, but he'll come back to life when he starts playing half-assed teams.

Also be aware that we were 7-2 without Redd and we've gone 1-4 with Redd. I think Redd is the problem, not Jennings.

Also be aware that we were 7-2 without Redd and we've gone 1-4 with Redd. I think Redd is the problem, not Jennings.

You went 7-2 because you were playing teams like the Grizzlies, Timberwolves, Nets, and Warriors. The Bucks probably had the easiest schedule in the league to start the season.

I never said Jennings was the reason the Bucks have gone cold. I'm saying his hot start and the team's hot start are the result of easy competition.

Opinions change.

BTW, Jennings' scoring is down because of Bogut's absence. Look at Jennings' game log ( http://www.nba.com/playerfile/brandon_jennings/game_by_game_stats.html ). Bogut hasn't played since Nov. 18. I predicted this to happen, it's no coincidence. When Bogut comes back, Jennings will be back to his old self.

Opinions change.

BTW, Jennings' scoring is down because of Bogut's absence. Look at Jennings' game log ( http://www.nba.com/playerfile/brandon_jennings/game_by_game_stats.html ). Bogut hasn't played since Nov. 18. I predicted this to happen, it's no coincidence. When Bogut comes back, Jennings will be back to his old self.

Yeah, I don't like his attitude. Big deal.

Also, of course he's going to be affected with Bogut out. We have NO big man presence and thus the D has much less to worry about. With Bogut in the game Jennings can pound it down low and look for the nice kick out. Unfortunately, with all 5 of our players surrounding the arc, Jennings has been forcing some very questionable shots.

Here's an interesting idea. Why not determine those that can enter the draft out of high school at a pre-draft camp? Kinda like a mini-combine type thing. You get coaches, gms and scouts from all over the league. Evaluate the guys who want to enter and then at the end those scouts/coaches/gms etc. determine the ones that are ready and those that aren't. The ones who aren't ready go to college for 2 years and then are then eligible for the draft after their sophomore year if they want to leave.<br><br>That'll never happen but its just an idea lol.

Edited by Flash

Here's an interesting idea. Why not determine those that can enter the draft out of high school at a pre-draft camp? Kinda like a mini-combine type thing. You get coaches, gms and scouts from all over the league. Evaluate the guys who want to enter and then at the end those scouts/coaches/gms etc. determine the ones that are ready and those that aren't. The ones who aren't ready go to college for 2 years and then are then eligible for the draft after their sophomore year if they want to leave.<br><br>That'll never happen but its just an idea lol.

It was as much the GMs fault for drafting players as it was for young players to enter the draft early. Both have to come to the conclusion that the kid is ready to play in order to get drafted, or at least the GM needs to feel that the player can at least be developed.

Personally, I think that even if it would be better for some players to go to college first for developmental purposes, I don't think it should be mandatory. You don't need a school education in order to play basketball. It should be up to the players to decide whether they are ready to play or not when they enter the draft.

• Owner

I agree with Dick Vitale. Just let the kids enter the draft right out of high school. College basketball won't suffer from it. There are many guys who have been afraid to go straight to the pros, or just wanting to go one or two years to a school before the draft.

There's a lot of talent out there, and some of them aren't smart enough, or just don't have the money, to get into a college.