Toby Gerhart destroys Notre Dame

damien

Toby Gerhart turned what could be Charlie Weis' final game as Notre Dame coach into his own Heisman Trophy infomercial.

Gerhart ran for 205 yards and three scores, threw an 18-yard touchdown pass and scored the game-winning touchdown with 59 seconds left to help Stanford hand Weis and the Fighting Irish a fourth straight loss to end the regular season, 45-38 Saturday night.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=293320024

3 touchdowns, 200 yards. Heisman? I think so.

Edited by damien

tim tebow = the most overrated player in college football history, and the reason i now only watch ESPN for MNF

Why's Tebow overrated? Thanks.

And I would vote for Gerhart, or Mark Ingram. He runs so well, but I do think some of the share has to go to his fullback Marcecic and that great offensive line.

Edited by iBoldin

I don't think Pike's in the discussion at all. The Bearcats saw no decrease in the level of their play with Collaros in, and despite the gaudy stats, he plays in more of a spread offense then a guy like Tebow. McCoy plays in a spread, but he's but up better numbers.

I think Gerhart also going to get some recognition because he's a white running back. Don't discount Masoli or Jacquizz Rodgers either.

• Like 1

Tebow isn't overrated. Hes probably one of the top five best player in College Football History. You might not think hes really that good or a great quarterback but the kid gets it done when it matters and he has showed us for 3 years.

Then again when he goes into NFL that going to be different because i dont think he gonna be that great of a qb thats why he should be a WR or so.

I say Tebow's overrated becuase all he does is run for 2 or 3 yard touchdowns and throw the ball 5-10 yards and have his receivers run 50+ yards for the score. Anyone could have won with that surrounding cast. He's a good quarterback but come on he's not that great.

Tebow isn't overrated. Hes probably one of the top five best player in College Football History. You might not think hes really that good or a great quarterback but the kid gets it done when it matters and he has showed us for 3 years.

Then again when he goes into NFL that going to be different because i dont think he gonna be that great of a qb thats why he should be a WR or so.

I see him playing his best as an FB or a TE, with his size and his lack of WR speed.

I say Tebow's overrated becuase all he does is run for 2 or 3 yard touchdowns and throw the ball 5-10 yards and have his receivers run 50+ yards for the score. Anyone could have won with that surrounding cast. He's a good quarterback but come on he's not that great.

True that, Kellen Moore on Boise State is just as good. People just don't realize some things in life though.

• Like 1

What he does inside of Urban Meyer's offense is very commendable to say the absolute least. He's not even getting overrated, he's getting overhyped because of the accolades he's received while at Florida. Let's look at them:

- 2 BCS Championships, one won largely because of his play and another inside of a very creative 2 QB formation.

- A Heisman, in contention for a second.

- Several SEC and All-American awards.

Another reason is the fact that he came back to College and the fact that he's Christian. There are a lot of reasons to not like the guy, but his play dictates a very good offense, and he's got the complete stats to back it up. He's the leader of the number one ranked team in the nation. He doesn't just run for 2 or 3 yard touchdowns. The Gators offense calls for bubble screens and high-percentage passing plays. Since when is it a crime to allow a guy like Percy Harvin to find yards after the catch on a screen play.

Honestly, the guy is just that great.

And please, let's just douse those FB/TE 'tweener rumors right now. No scout in the NFL is going to buy him in any another position but Quarterback. Why do that to a guy who hasn't played anything else but QB?

What he does inside of Urban Meyer's offense is very commendable to say the absolute least. He's not even getting overrated, he's getting overhyped because of the accolades he's received while at Florida. Let's look at them:

- 2 BCS Championships, one won largely because of his play and another inside of a very creative 2 QB formation.

- A Heisman, in contention for a second.

- Several SEC and All-American awards.

Another reason is the fact that he came back to College and the fact that he's Christian. There are a lot of reasons to not like the guy, but his play dictates a very good offense, and he's got the complete stats to back it up. He's the leader of the number one ranked team in the nation. He doesn't just run for 2 or 3 yard touchdowns. The Gators offense calls for bubble screens and high-percentage passing plays. Since when is it a crime to allow a guy like Percy Harvin to find yards after the catch on a screen play.

Honestly, the guy is just that great.

And please, let's just douse those FB/TE 'tweener rumors right now. No scout in the NFL is going to buy him in any another position but Quarterback. Why do that to a guy who hasn't played anything else but QB?

How is he not getting overrated? Every time Tebow blows his nose, ESPN is all over it. And the reason he won't play quarterback is because he doesn't have the NFL arm. I never said it was wrong that his receivers did most of the work, but yeah. I mean, if, lets say, whoever's quarterbacking for Nevada threw for 319 yards, but only completed 16 passes and most of them were screens with long runs after, then people would say "Oh, his receivers did most of the work." But because it's Tebow, its a godly game. also, everyone thinks he's so brilliant with his 3.4 GPA or w/e it is even though his major has almost nothing to do with the classroom. I think that he's a pretty likable guy but I just can't help but feel that there's something fishy about him.

Edited by damien

How is he not getting overrated? Every time Tebow blows his nose, ESPN is all over it. And the reason he won't play quarterback is because he doesn't have the NFL arm. I never said it was wrong that his receivers did most of the work, but yeah. I mean, if, lets say, whoever's quarterbacking for Nevada threw for 319 yards, but only completed 16 passes and most of them were screens with long runs after, then people would say "Oh, his receivers did most of the work." But because it's Tebow, its a godly game. also, everyone thinks he's so brilliant with his 3.4 GPA or w/e it is even though his major has almost nothing to do with the classroom. I think that he's a pretty likable guy but I just can't help but feel that there's something fishy about him.

He gets overrated off the field, not on the field. I don't how you could possibly say the best player in College Football is overrated. The things he does for that Florida offense is simply great. His production and tape both speak for themselves.

Fairweather fans are always going to say that's an excellent game by Tebow. It all comes down to breaking down tape and looking more into the production.

He doesn't have a NFL arm? 65% of quarterbacks who come into the NFL their rookie seasons don't have a NFL arm. Pennington didn't, and it got worse as his career progressed because of injuries. Yet he's still an effective quarterback. You don't have to have a JaMarcus Russell arm to survive in the NFL. Tebow's arm is adequate and it can get stronger. His mechanics need to be refined, but again, so do a lot of quarterbacks coming into the league. It just comes with the territory.

This has nothing to do with him in school. His play is that of a Heisman-like player.

Ok here's my take on Tebow.

He fits Urban's offense perfectly and its shown with his production all 4 years. That being said, he is nowhere near deserving of the Heisman this year. Ingram, McCoy and Spiller are all more deserving IMO. That doesn't mean he hasn't had a great year though. After McCoy's game the other night I'd give it to him honestly.

Tebow will get drafted as a QB but I don't think he'll ever be a legit starter and here's why.

- He's never been a consistent passer who can throw with NFL accuracy like a Colt McCoy, Ryan Mallet, Jake Locker or Sam Bradford.

- His footwork isn't at an NFL level either.

- He won't be nearly as effective on the ground against NFL defenses and NFL linemen and linebackers.

I think he's better suited as an H-Back in the mold of Chris Cooley for the Redskins but that's just my opinion.

As for Gerhart, I don't buy the hype and not because he's white. I don't think he's as good as Jahvid Best, Quiz Rodgers or a full strength Lagarrette Blount and those are guys in his conference alone. What he did yesterday was against one of the worst defenses in the nation so if you pick a game to crown him for don't make it against Notre Dame. There's plenty of other guys I'd take over Gerhart.

Ok here's my take on Tebow.

He fits Urban's offense perfectly and its shown with his production all 4 years. That being said, he is nowhere near deserving of the Heisman this year. Ingram, McCoy and Spiller are all more deserving IMO. That doesn't mean he hasn't had a great year though. After McCoy's game the other night I'd give it to him honestly.

Tebow will get drafted as a QB but I don't think he'll ever be a legit starter and here's why.

- He's never been a consistent passer who can throw with NFL accuracy like a Colt McCoy, Ryan Mallet, Jake Locker or Sam Bradford.

- His footwork isn't at an NFL level either.

- He won't be nearly as effective on the ground against NFL defenses and NFL linemen and linebackers.

I think he's better suited as an H-Back in the mold of Chris Cooley for the Redskins but that's just my opinion.

As for Gerhart, I don't buy the hype and not because he's white. I don't think he's as good as Jahvid Best, Quiz Rodgers or a full strength Lagarrette Blount and those are guys in his conference alone. What he did yesterday was against one of the worst defenses in the nation so if you pick a game to crown him for don't make it against Notre Dame. There's plenty of other guys I'd take over Gerhart.

he ran for 136 and 4 scores against cal. 178 and 3 scores against USC. 223 and 3 scores against oregon. 134 and 3 scores against UCLA. The bottom line is, he tears defenses up.

No, it's fine. I like good football discussion, and we haven't had a lot of discussion like this in a while. I love my college football, and it's good to see other people discussing it. As long as it stays civil, it's fun.

haha im sure me and you are going to have some fun debates down the road :)