Notre Dame fires Charlie Weis

damien

Saying its expectations on the field have not been met, Notre Dame fired coach Charlie Weis on Monday after five seasons.

A brash offensive coordinator with the NFL champion New England Patriots when he was hired five years ago, Weis excited the Irish faithful with back-to-back appearances in BCS bowl games in his first two seasons.

Since then, one of the nation's most storied football programs has gone 16-21.

"We have great expectations for our football program, and we have not been able to meet those expectations," Notre Dame athletics director Jack Swarbrick said in a statement announcing Weis "will not be retained."

Charlie Weis fired

Warren, no way Meyer leaves UF unless its for the NFL or Ohio St. IMO.

I think it's going to be Stoops or Butch Davis with Stoops in the lead. Either way, no coach will ever win a Notre Dame. Recruiting there is way too hard especially with their academic standards. ND won't be relevant until they revamp almost everything in the program.

As much as I lol and agree with you, what else was he going to say. So I'm not surprised.

We all lol, but when it comes down to it, the players LOVED playing for Weis. He wasn't successful, but they loved playing for him.