Dunleavy: Griffin Back 'Likely After the First of the Year'

NJNJ

On Wednesday night, Los Angeles Clippers General Manager and Coach Mike Dunleavy said that top draft pick Blake Griffin will likely be out until January.

"Now that I'm learning more about [his injury]," said Dunleavy. "It's probably looking more like after the first of the year."

Griffin originally injured his left patella in training camp, knocking knees with teammate Craig Smith. After sitting out a stretch with what was called a bone bruise, Griffin aggravated the injury in the team's final exhibition game against the New Orleans Hornets.

Further examination revealed a stress fracture that originally had Griffin sidelined for the first six weeks of the season.

As the target date of roughly December 15th approaches, the team has an MRI scheduled to determine if Griffin can be cleared for the next step in recovery.

Dunleavy said the ultimate test will be a CT Scan, "which will show how the bone mends. When that looks like it's really good, that's when he's cleared to do basketball-like activity."

Just getting green-lit isn't enough for Griffin to make his season debut. He'll need to gradually work his way back into shape, while testing the knee each step to make sure there aren't any negative repercussions.

Dunleavy did note that his son, Mike Dunleavy Jr. with the Indiana Pacers, returned this past week from a knee injury without running through any full court practices.

"He played a game because [Danny] Granger got injured," said Dunleavy. "They got [Austin] Croshere and a bunch of kids at the Y. He played full court one day and said let me try and see how it goes."

Rest of the article.

---

That's a longgg time...

Edited by JenFlowDesignz

:(

That sucks big time. Jennings running away with the ROY?

Tyreke Evans has something to say about that.

Jennings is obviously the favourite right now, but from what I have seen he has started to slow down a bit. He got off to an amazing start, but I don't think that it was realistic for him to keep up that kind of play all season long and he has started to slow down, like expected. His points are at 21 a game now (they were at 24 a little while ago if I recall correctly), his FG% has dropped from 48% to 42%, he hasn't scored above 20 ppg in his last 6 games and during those 6 games he has shot below 30% 3 times and below 40% 3 times as well.

Jennings is still the leading candidate for ROY as of now and he has a very strong chance of winning it, but Tyreke Evans is closing the gap very quickly.

As for Griffin though, this sucks to hear. I was really looking forward to seeing him play.

• Owner

I actually took Blake as my ROY winner before the season started, figured he would pull down double-digit boards and give the Clips at least 17 a game. That would be enough, in my opinion...and maybe even good enough to push them directly into the playoffs.

I know guys are going to bring up Michael Olowokandi and Danny Manning, but I'm not sure if Griffin should fall into that category just yet. His injury isn't severe, and when it happened, he was still able to play. I believe he's probably already healed up by now, maybe just getting his legs back under him and making sure he's 100% before he suits up again.