Retirement Could Be Option For Harpring

The Goods

Matt Harpring isn't sure whether he'll be able to return to the court next season.

"Sometimes," Harpring said Thursday. "I have thoughts of playing. And then I have thoughts of not playing."

After the team's playoff loss to the Lakers, Harpring said that he'd return next season, but doubt has crept into his mind.

"I told them after the season, 'It could be over,' " said Harpring. "They said, 'Well, let's see how the summer goes.' "

Harpring, 33, has had a number of surgeries over his 11-year career.

"I need to get motion back into [the] ankle, and if it doesn't happen then not playing is a definite possibility," he said. "I can't function the way. It's not working. I thought this summer would be good for rehab and getting that motion back ... but there's a lot of junk in there.

"The reason why I wouldn't be playing is medical. I'd love to play. And I told them that at the end of the year. But I said I have to get this ankle back to be able to play," Harpring added. "I mean, I went through last year with a lot of pain — and it just doesn't seem right, the function or the mobility. I'm sure you could see it on the court."

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60308/20090703/retirement_could_be_option_for_harpring/