Rondo Deserves to Be an All-Star

NJNJ

http://www.blogcdn.com/nba.fanhouse.com/media/2009/12/rondo-driving-1209-200-1260229995.jpg

The Big Three in Boston is becoming the Unbeatable Four, fueling the perception now that the Celtics are on track to win yet another championship, ready to steamroll both Cleveland and Orlando on their way to the NBA Finals.

Point guard Rajon Rondo, once viewed with some skepticism, should be joining Boston's All-Star trio this season, compensating for any steps his veteran teammates might be losing to age.

The Celtics (16-4) are back to where they were when they won the 2008 championship -- except Rondo now makes them better.

"Almost there,'' Rondo told the Boston Herald. "It's not complete, but it's almost there.''

The return of Kevin Garnett, and the consistency of Paul Pierce and Ray Allen, will garner much of the attention again, but it's the play of Rondo this season that really has re-ignited all the title talk.

Rondo, in his fourth season but his first since signing that much-debated, five-year, $55 million extension, is leading the NBA in steals (2.55 spg). He is fourth in assists (9 apg), but first in the Eastern Conference. His field-goal percentage is up, his turnovers down, and he's playing with a confidence that only the best point guards have.

He no longer plays in awe of -- or defers to -- the Big Three. Instead, he orchestrates the show now, setting them up and delivering the ball.

"It starts with our point guard,'' Garnett remarked to reporters after a recent win. "He's gotten better at consolidating, and being aggressive, knowing when to be aggressive.''

CONTINUE READING

He has a good chance, but he has to compete against a lot of guards to snag a spot. There are a few point guards who probably have a better chance of making it, such as Mo Williams, Gilbert Arenas, and despite his absence, Devin Harris.

• Owner

Arenas and Harris? Neither of those guys have a shot over Rondo. They are the supposed leaders of bad teams. If Kevin Durant and Al Jefferson couldn't get in last season, those two have no chance at it.

And Mo Williams isn't near the overall player Rondo is. I hope the fans don't make a mistake by voting him in.

I can't stand Rondo or the Celtics, but I have to call it like it is. He's a very good candidate for the ASG.

Dwyane Wade (certainly going to get it)

Ray Allen

Vince Carter (more than likely, because of the fans)

Joe Johnson

Brandon Jennings (wouldn't be surprised, but Milwaukee needs to maintain their spot in the playoffs)

Those guys are more likely to get in before Rondo, though. Rondo doesn't score enough, and he's the fourth best player on the Celtics.

He should be able to make it, Gil will get in due to his fan support (I don't know its current state, but I'm sure many love to see him back in the ASG). Other than that, the only real competition for Rondo is Mo Williams and Iverson (he will make it).

But you can't forget the fact that the ballot lists Rondo as a guard, not a point guard, so he goes up against the likes of Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Ray Allen, Vince Carter, and Iguodala.

Someone will get snubbed from the game, I'm sure of that.

• Owner

Forgot Iverson was back in the East.

Iverson, Carter...those two will get in due to fan support.

Wade will start.

The ballot asks for two guards, and you'll have yourself a third and fourth. That fourth will be:

Ray Allen

Joe Johnson

Brandon Jennings

Gilbert Arenas

Rajon Rondo

Mo Williams

Andre Iguodala

Then there are two extra all-stars voted in by the coaches, and that could be where Rondo gets in...but I wouldn't be surprised if the coaches choose Joe Johnson and Ray Allen for that, assuming they don't make it in the voting.

Lots and lots of hype for Jennings, though. On RealGM, there are a ton of fans who think he may get in...and I wouldn't be surprised if voters try to slide him into that fourth slot, especially if the Bucks end up keeping that winning record with Michael Redd not contributing much.

I'd say he's deserved it thus far. It's obvious he wont start, that will prolly be D-Wade and Iverson(undeservedly). I dont see the coaches not getting JJ, VC, Ray, Iggy etc. before Rondo though. So i agree w/RD. Rondo will likely be one of the extra's added in if he's an all star this year.

Arenas and Harris? Neither of those guys have a shot over Rondo. They are the supposed leaders of bad teams. If Kevin Durant and Al Jefferson couldn't get in last season, those two have no chance at it.

I'm talking about fan support, not necessarily who is more deserving. So, yes. They do have a shot over Rondo, a big shot.

I'm talking about fan support, not necessarily who is more deserving. So, yes. They do have a shot over Rondo, a big shot.

Thing with that is that fan support doesn't matter after the starters are picked. The coaches choose who the reserves are. Harris/Arenas definitely have more fan support than rondo, but they wont get more votes than D-wade/Iverson etc.

Thing with that is that fan support doesn't matter after the starters are picked. The coaches choose who the reserves are. Harris/Arenas definitely have more fan support than rondo, but they wont get more votes than D-wade/Iverson etc.

Oh definitely, I wasn't saying they would have a better chance than Wade or Iverson, but they would definitely have as good of a chance or a better chance than Rondo no doubt.