Rick Adelman: Most Underrated Coach in the NBA?

Do you think that Rick Adelman is the most underrated coach in the NBA? Everywhere they he has coached, he has had a lot of success and he has been able to win with different styles of teams. He has a career winning pecentage of 61.5% as a coach and has won 2 Western Conference Championships as well. In the playoffs he has a 50.3 winning percentage as well.

However, what makes me make this thread is the work that he has done this season with the Houston Rockets. When news broke that Yao Ming would miss the entire 2009/10 season and Tracy McGrady missing a large part of the season, as well as the uncertainty that surrounds him coming off of micrfracutre surgery, almost everybody wrote off the Houston Rockets, myself included. I didn't think that they would be one of the worst teams in the league or anything like that, but I certainly did not expect them to be a 12/9 team and sit in 2nd place in the Southwest Division. Players like Trevor Ariza, Carl Landry, Aaron Brooks etc... have all played very well this season for the Rockets, but a lot of the credit can certainly go to Adelman for putting these players into positions that they can thrive in.

When people talk about the great coaches in the NBA you always hear Phil Jackson, Jerry Sloan and Gregg Popovich brought up, but very rarely do you hear people give props to Rick Adelman, at least not in the same sense as the other 3 coaches. So that begs the question, is Rick Adelman the most underrated coach in the NBA today?

I don't think people realize the importance of a good coach. Rick Adelman is the main reason why I thought the Rockets are going to make the 7th seed this year. I'm still sticking by it, and they could perhaps reach a higher seed if Adelman can integrate McGrady back in their offense successfully.

He's certainly a great coach and has a winning formula, even with a team full of role players. Same thing with Stan Van Gundy, he's a very underrated coach as well. I guarantee the Magic would never have had the same success without him.