Jeff Van Gundy Rips Into Raptors

I saw this posted on RealGM. Apperantly Van Gundy made these comments during an ESPN broadcast.

"You have all the offensive talent you need to win and win big in this league and you don't even try on defense? what is that? You give up 147 against Atlanta and have a chance tonight to make amends at home and you get torn apart again? that's embarassing".

Not taken word for word, but you get the general idea.

I really couldn't agree more with JVG on this one. I am sick and tired of watching this team get abused on defense and get blown out in games, yet during the final minutes of the game you see them all sitting and laughing on the bench (I'm looking at you Hedo Turkoglu). Show some god damn pride for crying out loud. It is disguisting watching this team play.

I gave this team a chance, but it is about time that changes need to be made. This team simply is not going to cut it.

PS: I wish that JVG was the coach. At least than out team might play with some balls.

No offense BFT, but the Raps are a joke.

I think we all know Bosh will jet this summer. They should trade him now while they can get something in return.

I said from the day it happened that the Hedo signing would go down as one of the worst in NBA history. I always compared it to when Peja left the Kings for the Hornets. He was great in Sacramento, then really fell off in New Orleans. The same will happen with Hedo. He's either going to get injured or seriously under-peform. That was a totally bloated contract.

The rest of their roster is just a joke as far as I'm concerned. Either guys they should trade or let expire.

Had to get that off my chest.

Besides a new coach, I think by far the biggest problem is the two most importance positions in the game. The point guard and the center positions. The coach needs to demand more effort and efficiency defensively from Calderon and Bargnani. If they don't respond, he needs to bury them on the bench until they do. They need to realize that it's either they show effort on defense, or their minutes are in jeopardy. The coach needs to create that mindset in his players.

I think the Raptors can role just fine with a starting line up of Jack - DeRozan - Turk - Evens - Bosh, while Calderon and Bargs get their heads straightened out.

The reason I don't say to trade them is because I think they are somewhat important for their offense. It doesn't seem to me that the reason for their misery on defense is from the lack of the ability to defend versus focus, effort, and just putting more value into their defensive effort overall. If they can step it up defensively, I still think the Raptors can become a dangerous team.

Edited by Poe

I said from the day it happened that the Hedo signing would go down as one of the worst in NBA history. I always compared it to when Peja left the Kings for the Hornets. He was great in Sacramento, then really fell off in New Orleans. The same will happen with Hedo. He's either going to get injured or seriously under-peform. That was a totally bloated contract.

You might be right, but I don't think it comes from Turkoglu's abilities only fitting with Orlando. I think it's simply because in Orlando he had more freedom to dominate the ball a bit more. On the Raptors squad, I don't think Turk gets as many touches with the way Calderon is running the offense. Come to think of it, it may be a good idea to trade Calderon for a less ball-dominant, but better defensive PG.

In this case, I don't think it's the players. Like JVG just said, the Raptors have all the talent needed to win games. It's up to the coach to bring the most of his players. I think the Raptors probably need a new coach.

The blame should be placed on the players, the coaching staff and Bryan Colangelo himself.

The players because they simply don't play with any pride defensively and it shows in the inconsistent play of this team. When they play with pride defensively, more often than not the Raptors come away with a victory because if they are able to hold a team to below 100 points they have a very good chance of winning and if they manage to hold them below 90 points it is basically a guarntee that they will win because of the offensive prowess of the team. However, the Raptors are way too inconsistent with their defensive intensity and it shows in their record.

The coaching staff should take a stricter approach to the team. If somebody is constantly having defensive lapses because they are not focusing or giving effort, then sit them down until they are willing to put in the work required defensively. If players know that they can get away with making all sorts of mental mistakes and not give it their all on the floor, they are going to continue to do it. As much as I didn't like Sam Mitchell as a coach, I liked that if you weren't giving it your all out there he would let you know it and sit you until you were willing to give it your all on every possession.

Lastly, some blame needs to be put on Bryan Colangelo because he is the one that brought all of these players to Toronto and being a GM isn't just about getting the most talented players that you can find and throwing them all together on a team. You have to get talent that fits with the rest of your roster and I don't think that Colangelo has done a very good job of this. You can blame it on the fact that players don't want to play in Canada or whatever you want, but as a GM it is your job to get the best possible mix of talent on the floor. Colangelo has brought in much more talent from last season, but the talent is a terrible fit with each other.

PS: The Raptors have all of the offensive talent that they need to win games, but they don't have nearly enough defensive talent to win games. You can call it a lack of pride, heart or whatever, but a large part of it is that the Raptors simply don't have very many, if any, good defensive players.