Strength of Schedule (ESPN)

Real Deal

• Owner

correct me if I'm wrong...but don't all NBA teams play each other? Therefore, how can one have a tougher schedule?

We play East teams only twice, all West teams 3-4 times.

And even then, there's the difference between teams in the conference. We may play Denver four times this year, while another West team plays them just three.

correct me if I'm wrong...but don't all NBA teams play each other? Therefore, how can one have a tougher schedule?

People are hating on the Lakers saying their schedule is easy so far because they have been beating up on bad teams.

And I think what this shows is that the Lakers opponents have been better then most of the teams so far.

I'm not sure about how SoS is determined and what not, so I would appreciate it if somebody cleared a few things up for me.

1) Are road games and home games weighed differently? It is obvious that most teams play better at home than they do on the road.

2) Are back to backs factored into this? For example, a road game on the tail end of a back to back against a team like Atlanta could be just as hard as a home game after 3 days rest against somebody like the Lakers.

3) Basically, how do they determine this metric? lol.

I'm not sure about how SoS is determined and what not, so I would appreciate it if somebody cleared a few things up for me.

1) Are road games and home games weighed differently? It is obvious that most teams play better at home than they do on the road.

2) Are back to backs factored into this? For example, a road game on the tail end of a back to back against a team like Atlanta could be just as hard as a home game after 3 days rest against somebody like the Lakers.

Im pretty sure its just opponent team winning %, not sure though.

• Owner

It's based on the RPI (Relative Power Index), which is...

The basic formula is 25% team winning percentage, 50% opponents' average winning percentage, and 25% opponents' opponents' average winning percentage.

This is sorta discluding the home/road game stuff. Phoenix has played what, almost half the amount of home games they have road yet they aren't in the top 10? And the Lakers with all those home games shouldn't be top 10. Nice to see the Celtics easiness recognized by this though.

• Owner

I understand the concept of what is going on with the SOS of NBA teams, but i just dont see how it is really relative simply because ever team does play every team. Kind of a worthless stat for professional basketball.

Well, again, East teams play each other 3-4 times a year (same with the West). Opposing conferences play each other only twice.

So while the Heat would play the Nets four times, the Spurs only play the Nets twice...and in the same fashion, the Heat play the Lakers twice, yet the Spurs play LA four times.

And that is where winning percentages come into play.