Zach Randolph labors on despite All-Star snub

La Bomba

Zach Randolph hears about his impressive season with the Grizzlies just about everywhere he walks in Memphis.

If Randolph continues at this rate, NBA coaches must decide whether this campaign -- Randolph's first in the Bluff City and ninth as a pro -- is indeed special.

Randolph has never been selected to an NBA all-star squad, yet his play is making a strong case for consideration. It's an honor Randolph won't openly campaign for but clearly wants on his résumé.

"It would mean a lot to me," Randolph said before the Griz prepared to face the Miami Heat tonight in American Airlines Arena. "There are a couple of years I thought I should have made it but I didn't. I just have to keep my head up and keep being a soldier."

Randolph has been "a beast," according to Griz coach Lionel Hollins.

It's hard to argue the label given how Randolph has consistently bullied his way in the paint.

The 6-9 power forward is averaging a double-double (18.9 points and 10.4 rebounds) for a fourth straight season. His 12 double-doubles this season are second only to Utah's Carlos Boozer (15), and Randolph's productivity ranks him among the top three players at his position in the Western Conference.

"He's a smart basketball player. He just knows how to play," Griz center Marc Gasol said. "His attitude has been great and we have to keep taking advantage of it."

A testament to Randolph's hard work came Friday night in the Grizzlies' loss to the Oklahoma City Thunder. It took Randolph nearly a half until he grabbed his first rebound. But the first one, which came about four minutes before halftime -- led to 20 for the night.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/dec/13/randolph-labors-on-despite-all-star-snub/

As much as people say Randolph was lazy and a ballhog, he's been pretty impressive this season.

He said he wanted to start "a new chapter" in Memphis and it looks like he has. I haven't seen much of those flaws people talked about regarding him.

He does sometimes take unadvised jump shots, but he works hard on the offensive glass and he has a good feel for the game. His defense isn't the greatest, but he has started to work harder as the season has gone on.

I didn't watch him much on his prior stops, but he doesn't play the way people described him.