Rudy Gay scores 41 as Grizzlies beat Heat 118-90

La Bomba

One of the most unforgettable moments Sunday evening happened when Grizzlies rookie center Hasheem Thabeet decided to do his best Dan Marino impersonation.

The gangly 7-footer picked off Miami guard Dwyane Wade’s errant pass, turned and immediately fired the basketball down court. The basketball traveled from one 3-point stripe to the other and fell perfectly into the hands of Thabeet’s streaking teammate, Rudy Gay, who finished the play with a reverse slam dunk.

It was Thabeet’s first career assist. It was also that kind of night for the Grizzlies and for Gay, who turned most of his teammates’ decisions to get him the basketball into a highlight.

Gay tossed in a career-high 41 points, and everything seemed to work well for the Grizzlies in a 118-90 blowout over the Miami Heat in American Airlines Arena.

Gay had his way with Heat defenders, scoring at will on a variety of dynamic shots. He made driving layups, 3-pointers and threw down several alley-oop dunks.

Gay’s offensive explosion combined with early defensive dominance created a game the Griz led by 30 points midway through the fourth quarter.

“I just wanted to make my presence known. I wanted to be aggressive on offense,” Gay said after making a career high 15 shots on 28 attempts. “I wanted to let the game come to me, and when you do that good things happen.”

Five different players were credited with assists on Gay’s baskets.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/dec/13/rudy-gay-scores-41-grizzlies-beat-heat-118-90/